Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

michigan riding

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 03:33 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there John, If I'm not mistaken I told you how narrow those trails were by Muskegon. I wasn't lying was I? I'd love to go up there before work and ride for a couple of hours but the beating your bod and quad takes with those trees, it isn't worth it. We still gotta have lunch sometime soon. Maybe I'd start riding in Michigan more if the trails were kept up like those in Wisconsin. Michigan could learn alot from those people across the "Big Pond"
Steve
98 Grizzly

Old 01-31-2002, 04:32 PM
Trailblazer

Michimaniac -

>>Thanks for your description; I'll bring your comments to the meeting on Sat.

Actually, I hope to see you there. A buddy and I are going to attend the meeting just to get a better idea of what MATVA is all about. I'm looking forward to puting a face to the many people I have been talking to on the forums.

>>Question: How long (timewise) a trip is the N. route? you've convinced me that this should be >>my next trip.

I think we run it in about 3 hours. My buddies and I usually hold an overall average of about 10MPH on trails and I think that trail is 35 miles long. I think I mentioned it in another post, but I suggest using the Starvation Lake trailhead, The HideAway bar right across the street has a darn good bar burger and fries.

Thanks for the info on Drummond. I've been wanting to get over there for a long time just for sight seeing, maybe I'll actually do it now since I can ride there too.

- Shawn

Old 01-31-2002, 04:41 PM
Range Rover

Hoarsnest,

I will try to answer your motorcycle question.
In Michigan there are no motorcycle only trails. Your assuption on width base on picture is correct. Motorcycle trails are 24" at the ground. If you can get an ATV through it then thats up to you. The only thing that you need to remember is if you end up on a MCCCT trail it will eventually end up on a road section that requires a license plate. This is where you will have to turnaround. Eventualy all motorcycle trails will be cut to 50". Always ride the ORV Routes and ORV Trails and you will be fine.

Jeff

Old 01-31-2002, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider

Steve,

I had to laugh when you reminded me about that trail, as I had remembered what you said (the only info I ever was able to get) and just had to see it for myself! You're right, it just aint worth it; no matter how convenient it is! When you find yourself some time, look me up for some Grill House grub. I think I'm starting to get Iron fever which I'm sure talking to you won't cure.

Shawn,

Thanks for the info, be glad to talk about Drummond in Pontiac. Missed the motorcycle question but remember one map that has a motorcycle in the picture and is marked as a quad trail (Horsehoe Lake; N. of Cedar Creek). Others, like Tomahawk, are marked as quad trails and maintained as motorcycle trails. Having to travel to these places to find out wether you can even ride them is one of the reasons we need more people involved in fixing this.

Old 02-01-2002, 09:49 AM
Trailblazer

Cruiser -

You bring up something I have been thinking about - MCCCT trails and road legality. This may not be the right forum for this, but I'll broach the subject here anyway. According to michigan law, any ATV with a motor over 500cc is no longer an ATV, but instead is categorized as an ORV. According to the Sec. of State web site - ATV's can not be made road legal because they use a live axle. Well, that is no longer true with the majority of the Sport/Utility quads. They are differential gears, although most rear diff's are locked. I have sent the Sec. of State a couple of emails about this issue, but as yet have not received a response. So the question is, what is stopping us from making these new "big block" quads road legal. I mean, if you are willing to add a horn, and DOT approved tires and lighting, technically you should be able to license a quad for the street. Comments?

-Shawn

Old 02-01-2002, 02:09 PM
Range Rover

Shawn, You've posted some GREAT comments. Bring'em to the meeting Saturday, I'll be there also with some KFC.I would like to hear some response to just such questions. These are the things DNR needs to keep UP-TO-DATE, since the "CC" market may never see an end, things WILL need to be REVISED. It would be nice to be able to ride on "SOME ROADS LEGALLY" possibly connection trail systems.

That 3 mile connector trail at BLACK LAKE north of the scrambler area (twin lakes road), with all those POP CAN size STUMPS everywhere and PINBALLING off every other TREE could use a little work also, considering people RAVE the place......GREAT SCENERY with many MCCCT and mountain biking trails also.

Scott
01' Rancher

Old 02-01-2002, 05:41 PM
Range Rover

Shawn,
I have never heard the live axle argument before. As far as I have been told it is due to tires that are not D.O.T approved. There are some towns with permits that allow street riding. Somewhere on one of the forums the details were listed. I wouldn't mind seeing some roads open up to let us get to connectors. I wouldn't want to see a full street legal bill passed in the house. This would really get out of hand if it ever happened. The folks I ride with would treat it with respect. Most would not. Saturday night cruises down main and hanging out at Micky D's.

I also hope you make the MATVA meeting.

John - If you have any new info. on the Windrock ride please bring it. I still plan on going.

Jeff

Old 02-01-2002, 08:15 PM
Trailblazer

Cruise,

This is off the Secretary of State website FAQ:

Q: Can I make my three or four-wheel all-terrain vehicle road worthy?
A: Three and four-wheel all-terrain vehicles(ATV) cannot be upgraded for on-road use. ATV’s are manufactured with a live axle, rather than a differential gear, which seriously affects their handling characteristics when operated on paved surfaces.

I see where this pertains to sport quads with chain driven rear axles, but it is outdated for todays new quads. I am not for cruising down main street either. What I really would like is to be able to shoot down a dirt road to a nearby trail, or run into a town near the trail for gas/food, stuff like that. I mean, most if not all northern counties allow snowmobiles on the right of way of all roads, all I want to do is get somewhere close with out having to trailer. Is that so wrong. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-01-2002, 08:54 PM
Range Rover

Shawn,

Thanks for the info. I guess our Grizzlies should be able to. As far as your riding objective I understand completely. I wish the same. I was just making a point. You know, a few bad apples.

Jeff

Old 02-01-2002, 09:08 PM
Trailblazer

I hope we never have to see all ATV's riding on the streets like motor cycles do. Streets are already too over crowded and the trail systems may be getting over crowded too if we don't keep up the interest to have more trails opened up as well as connectors to each when possible. Not only are the trails in danger of over crowding. State Parks are feeling the pinch too. As it becomes more expensive to have a second home or find affordable accommodations, in areas where people like to "get-away", State Parks must be a viable alternative along with forest camp sites. Those of us who use the State Camp Grounds, know too well, that it's not easy to find a site in the parks if you wait until the month before to make your reservation. I'm a bit off the subject but we have to consider all these and more as enthusiast.
Chuck

Quick Reply: michigan riding