Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Mammoth Lakes, Calif.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2002, 03:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Feb. issue of Dirtwheels has an article on the Mammoth area. This is a great place to ride during summer, when the deserts are to HOT. I noticed that for a lot of rides they recommend 4-wd. I have ridden a lot in the area, and I would say that a 2-wd utility (HIGH GROUND CLEARANCE!!) will get you by most places. 4-wd is more important to eastern mud/snow riders, than it is to us out there in the arid West. And, if you ride in a group, if you got stuck you just pick the thing up and carry it out.

My point is, don't stay home just because you don't have 4-wd! It's good to see this area get some attention. The more riders use it, the more political clout we can muster for keeping it open!!! Inyo NF has an "open unless posted closed" policy on dirt roads (I've never seen a road that was posted closed), but there really isn't any single track trail riding. They also have open "primitive" camping in most areas.

Old 06-03-2004, 04:59 PM
Trailblazer
Default Mammoth Lakes, Calif.

Does anyone know if its legal to camp ouside of established campgrounds? I heard as long as you were 2 miles away from town and got a fire permit it was cool. If so, does anyone know of a good flat clearing for several trailers? We would like to get near the motocross track or Sherwin Creek area.

Old 06-03-2004, 06:16 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where did you dig this post up??? YZ Guy is my old name. I changed it because everybody thought I was a Yamaha fan...NOT!

I would call the Mammoth Forest Service visitors center for camping info. There are a couple of campgrounds out on Sherwin Creek Rd., but you are right, there is restricted "primitive" camping near town. Deadman Creek is my favorite primitive camping area, but it is not near the MX track. If there is an "event" at the track, they won't even let you go down Sherwin Creek Rd. You have to park near town and take a shuttle bus.

Do the Laurel Lakes ride near Mammoth, it is beautiful! Also, check out some of my posts on mods for high altitude riding. You will need it! When you going???

Old 06-03-2004, 06:34 PM
Trailblazer

Did a search on Mammoth Lakes and your post came up.

I have done the ride up to Laurel Lakes in my truck many many years ago when I lived up there (87-88). That ride was featured in that article you mentioned. (Yes I still have the issue)

Tell me about the Deadman Creek area. Hows the riding from there?

BTW, Laurey Carlson, Mammoth Motocross event coordinator and Ski Patrol Manager tells me that this is the last year of the Mammoth Motocross event. (After 38 years the Forest Service is not renewing the permit) So this would be your last chance to catch this awesome race if you havent already.

We are planning to go in August.

Old 06-04-2004, 04:20 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deadman Creek is northwest of town. You get to it off the 395, near the rest stop. You have access to lots of roads, but it is more valley riding, not the spectacular high altitude stuff.