Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Hurley Wi, Memorial Day ATV Jamboree

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2000, 06:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I've gotten a bunch of info back from the Hurley COC, and decided we will make the trip up to the Jamboree. First time I've used a computer to help plan a trip, and I like it.
They sent an Iron County ATV trail guide. lots of trails! We are going to make it an extended Holiday weekend and save our vacation to go back later in the summer. I don't think we'll do the poker run (well maybe one day), just for the opportunity to check out some of the trail systems. I'm hoping some of you guy's familiar with the area can tell me which are the better trails.
Also, where does everyone stay? Doesn't seem to be alot of improved camping around there. At least not in the info I got. Would prefer to camp on the trails.
Thanks,
Brian

Old 02-15-2000, 09:55 AM

Hey Dusty, I've been wanting to ride those trails for a long time. We'll be doing the annual winter ride up to Iron River in two weeks. Could you e-mail me any info that you have on the Jamboree? I would much appreciate it. Thanks

Old 02-16-2000, 12:46 AM
Trailblazer

Dusty I think you e-mailed me once, but anyway without question hit trail #6 in Iron County rock, mud, hills, you name it. Personally I think its the best trail in Wiscosin. As for camping most of Iron County is County Forrest land so you can camp almost anywhere, but its primitive camping. I stay at Days Inn in Hurley you can catch the trail from their backdoor. If you notice on the trail map some of the trails are dotted and some are solid the solid color trails are dirt roads and are pretty boring. The main trail from Mercer to Hurley then to Saxon Harbor is an old rail road bed and gets boring after abouit 10 minutes. I'll be hitting this county for a week in July.

Steve
98 Grizzly

Old 02-18-2000, 09:48 PM
Mac
Range Rover

Dusty I been thinking about going this year too. I would probably try camping vs staying in a motel. Since there is state forest. Trail 6 does sound like the kind of trail riding I would enjoy. Up here in the U. P. snowmobile trail # 8 goes near Marquette has the same features near Big Bay Mi. I trying to talk my nephew in going. But maybe I 'll hook up with some folks that don't mind a Mid life crisis fellow to ride with.
Mac

Old 02-19-2000, 07:38 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the replys,

This is definately going to be a camping trip. Was hoping to find some improved campground for the rideless spouse's. It is going to be tough enough to get away with a few days riding, without them.

Mac,
If you're feeling a little dated, you can ride with this over the hump bunch.

Flipper,
Damnit, you live right down the road from me! We're gonna have to get together and talk. Do you live on 106th? Taking the quad and going out to Baseline lake this morning to catch lunch. HeHe

Brian

Old 02-19-2000, 02:16 PM
Range Rover

Dusty, we ride there very often and can give you a few tips.

#1. The Iron County Sheriffs department takes up the whole town. DO NOT "F" around while near the town. The cops are very strict and will ticket you. You can ride right through town (on the back streets) and alot of guys go too fast, wheelies etc.

#2. The town has a street called "Silver Street" lined with taverns and a few "girly joints". This is what made the Sheriffs department so big. Must see the nightly entertainment. Do not act stupid once out of the establishments the cops are right around the corner.

#3. The place we stay is called the Days Inn. It has nice rooms, 24Hour pool, hot tub and sauna. You can park in their gravel parking lot and ride from there. There is a gas station and food store right behind the hotel. Stay away from the Holiday Inn just down the road. Remodel, under new management, etc. was never good.

#4. Trail #6 from Hurley to Whitecap Ski Hill is the ultimate. If really wet, the trail can be very difficult. There are alot of rocks, logs etc on this trail. They have re-routed the beginning of the trail and I would suggest asking the locals where to begin. We got lost once.

#5. Sidekicks tavern in Iron Belt has great food and drinks. Last year they had a 4 foot deep water hole in their back yard for any takers. We had some and they got buried.

#6. Main corridor trail out of Hurley(west) to Saxon Harbor is a railroad grade that turns into a gravel road which leads to the shores of Lake Superior. The elevation change from road to Lake is about 150 feet and if the wind is right, the temperature can drop 40 degrees within 100 yards. They do not allow riding on the sand beach, however there is a small restaurant just up the blacktop road which serves a mean Friday Fish Fry. Get there early for the fish fry.

#7. This same main corridor leads to a road to the Potato River Falls. Another great stop. This is a small county park that has walking trails down to a 90' waterfall. Very, Very neat. Bring your camera.

#8. I dont know if the trail through the Gile Flowage is still ridable, if so take that as well. There is a metal bridge (just wide enough for an ATV) that crosses a nifty waterfall.

#9. There is a trail that leads to Island Lake Lodge. This is the smallest tavern you will run into. The guy serves beer and soda out of a refrigerator. Very friendly guy who has a garage full of tools etc if a machine is in trouble. He also sells gas.

#10. Main corridor out of Hurley (south) leads to a nice tavern that sells gas and good pizza its called the "Yukon". The place is right across from Pine Lake so dont miss it.

#11. If you continue on south into Mercer, there is a good restaurant called "Johnny's". They also sell very good sandwiches etc. Again watch out for riding on the roads. We did last year to get to the gas station and the teller told us to use the designated trails. The weekend before, a rider got a $180.00 fine for crossing a non designated road.

#12. I have never been there for the jamboree, but have heard it is a riot. Unfortunately the sponsor plans most of the events right in downtown Hurley (mud bog -- radar run etc) and the best beauty is out on the trails.

We ride sport machines 250R, 350RX, banshees etc and the trails are perfect for this type. The only downfall to the Hurley area is alot of the trails are railroad grades. But they lead to other trails and scenery which makes it worth the while.

The Hurley area is full of Iron Ore rock. This rock gives off a red powder dust that stains and ruins anything it gets on. Bring old pillow cases, riding gear etc. The dust rubs off of your body and onto everything. The hotel is OK since you can shower before getting it everywhere.

Some trails do not lead to gas stops. Make sure you review your days trails before heading out so that you allow for gas fill ups. Also make sure you carry a few of those trail maps for the ride.

P.S. Its about a 1 mile hike from Days Inn to downtown Hurley. We have learned NOT to drive downtown to unwind (police). Because of the girly joints, the town attracts alot of "guys", fisherman, hunters, snowmobilers, harley riders and atvers which make for some interesting Friday and Saturday nights. Some times we just sit and watch.

Also forgot to mention that there is a Yamaha/Polaris dealer in town.

E-mail me if you have any more ???????

Sparky from Milwaukee
89 350RX

Old 02-19-2000, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider

Scramdaddy1,
I've been trying to E-Mail you but somethings wrong with my provider. Here's what I have on the Jamboree:

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

The flyer I got from the CoC doesn't really tell much from what I've heard
about it.

Fri the 26th:
Registration through Sunday at Alaska house bar
Poker run begins-100 mi. course-fee required
6 PM - ATV parade on Silver St. in Hurley

Sat
Registration at Alaska house
Poker run continues

Sun
9 am - Radar Gun - Fee required
Noon - Cookout, raffle prizes - fee required
Food & Beverages will be served until 2 PM
3 PM The famous "Mud Pit" - fee required
All registered riders eligible for prizes

Mon
Poker run continues

not sure how much time we will spend in town, probably just hit the
highlights.

I'm always interested in learning about new trails. what are they like
around Iron River?

Brian

Old 02-21-2000, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider

Count Me and My friend in. We've never been there but it sounds like a riot and it would be cool to go with someone who knows what theyre doing, if you dont mind some younger members of the pack. 17 and 18 Have a good one
By the way, when is it???

Old 02-22-2000, 06:48 AM
Pro Rider

thanks HP500EFI
Team400EX, May 26th thru 29th Memorial weekend
Anyone else going?

Brian

Old 02-24-2000, 09:23 AM
Trailblazer

I've been up to Iron River, WI. There are some real nice trails, sand pits, etc. up there. In fact, I think we will be riding up that way (eating at the Other Place Sat. afternoon) on the weekend of March 11. My question is: can you go east on the old railroad grade next to Hwy 2, and get to Michigan U.P.? That would make for a good weekend ride - there and back, overnight trip.

It's a good thing that there is a Polaris dealership in Hurley. They ought to stock enough spare parts for all those Pull-your-asses out there!

Quick Reply: Hurley Wi, Memorial Day ATV Jamboree