Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

MN ATV reg's not accurate

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here's an e-mail that I sent to the MNDNR about an inaccuracy I found in the reg's.

Dear DNR,

I just finished reviewing your 2001-02 regulations concerning the age requirements for children and ATV's. I am puzzled after seeing that even though the law was passed in the summer of 2001, the reg's still show that children 16 and under are still not allowed to ride full size machines. With all due respect to your concerns of the safety of our kids, many of those at the age of 16 are as big or bigger than many adults. How can they be expected to ride a youth size machine when their knees are jammed into the fenders? It's my belief, as well as any other parent/ATV enthusiast, that this is a more dangerous situation than putting them on a full size machine, even considering the fact that most full size machines also have a throttle limiter as seen on all youth size models. My oldest son is going to be 12 years old on March 7th and already has surpassed his mother in both height and riding ability. You certainly wouldn't require my wife to ride a kids ATV due to her stature. She is 5' 6" tall.

If your current display of the state regulations is correct, then all ATV'ers in MN have been misinformed. If they are inaccurate, I would highly suggest that the information is corrected in light of the new season arriving just around the corner. We as outdoor enthusiasts, have to abide by laws enforced by our Dept of Natural Resources. But if your information is only providing a half truth to the real ATV regulations, then the thought of one of our state agency's more or less catering to those groups such as MRR is horrendous. We pay our registration fees to create these trails. Our clubs help maintain these trails. Don't take the revenue from our state. It all boils down to you not having a job if there is nothing more to regulate and enforce.

Please take this into consideration and have a nice day.

Sincerely,

Dave Sunderman
ATV/Outdoor Enthusiast

Old 02-19-2002, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

"I am puzzled after seeing that even though the law was passed in the summer of 2001, the reg's still show that children 16 and under are still not allowed to ride full size machines"

What law was passed in the summer of 2001??? I was told of a change that allows a passenger under 16 to ride with an adult, but haven't seen it in print yet.

Old 02-20-2002, 04:58 AM
Pro Rider

Thats a good point, I have never like the laws put out by the DNR for ATV's they just dont make much since. But then you look at the laws for snowmobiles and a 12yr old kid can ride a 800cc Mach Z, I think it should be up to the parent. When I was 14, I was 6feet tall and I just didnt fit on a 90cc ATV. It should be up to the parent on what size of a ATV there kids ride.
Thanks

Old 02-20-2002, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider

2 laws were passed last summer in regards to ATV's. One which Shaggy mentioned about those under 16 being able to ride double with an adult, and the other being that a 12 yr old can now be certified to ride a full size machine. It's not that I read this anywhere, I heard this directly from the president of ATVAM during a club meeting.

Old 02-20-2002, 03:56 PM
Trailblazer

So are you saying that a 12yo can ride a fullsize machine (ex. magnum 500)if he/she has a safety certificate? I know that it is that way in WI. I would really like to know as well.

Old 02-20-2002, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider

yes, that is what the new law states. A 12 yr old can be certified to ride a full size machine. I'll have to check into the state website to see if I can find the actual proof. If I do, I'll be sure to post.

Old 02-20-2002, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

I said I would post when I found the proof guys, so here it is. Look down to the 3.4 on the left side and the paragraph after. They can be certified "with a riding component" on a machine of more than 90cc.

Youth certification on full size machines

Old 02-20-2002, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider

First - I agree with you, to a point.

Second - good luck explaining to the law enforcement officer impounding your full size quad that you "would have" met the letter of the law but the training was not available. Our local CO told us that we better not hold our breath over this because nobody in their right mind will take on the legal liability of providing the required training.

3.8 (1) the person successfully completed the safety education
3.9 and training program under section 84.925, subdivision 1,
3.10 including a riding component;

Lastly -

There are way to many fathers out their pushing their 10 – 12 year olds onto their "old" quads because "they aint spend'n no 2 grand to buy no 90cc quad for Jo-Bob Jr. who is already nearly big nuff for'n it." Emergency rooms across the country are frequented regularly by children with their entrails pushed out their nostrils because of a bad "bicycle accident". I've seen this parental failure time after time on the trails and at trail heads. Personally I welcome the carting off of impounded bikes when parents endanger their children’s lives because dad is to cheap to buy the right equipment. I don’t need a 12 or 14 year old doing 50mph taking out me, my wife or my kids “because’n it aint right to have’n them there laws” about age and bike sizes.

I fly a high performance stunt plane, skydive, race boats and participate in a host of other high-risk hobbies – I know the difference between risk and danger. A miss matched youth on a quad is dangerous – pure and simple. And you can bet I didn't learn to fly in that stunt plane.

Some Pics[/L]Pics - not for slow connections.

Old 02-21-2002, 04:14 PM
Pro Rider

if there is actually an instructor in the state of MN that will certify a 12 year old on a full size machine, they will have to be licensed through the state and they will have the info available to contact them. If I have to drive my son 6 hours to get his certification done, I will. But I've been pondering the thought of becoming an instructor myself. Liability shouldn't be much of an issue. Anyone can pass an exam whether it be for ATV's, cars, motorcycle's, or snowmobiles, but what the individuals do after they successfully complete the training, is out of the control of the instructor. If they show during an exam that they "can" safely and properly operate a fullsize machine, then we have reason to believe that they should be certified.

Many of the injuries to children on fullsize machines are more than likely NOT certified riders and not under the supervision of an adult. This is why we need to encourage those who want to ride, to become certified so they receive proper instruction.

Old 02-22-2002, 03:09 PM
Trailblazer

Along this same subject, I'm confused on the MN regulations reguarding kids under 12. If a kid is on a proper size atv(90cc or less) can they ride solo on a state trail if with an adult. For example could my 9 year old son riding an LT-90 join me on a trail ride.

Quick Reply: MN ATV reg's not accurate