Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Minnesota, 4/06, Nemadji, Danbury, Gandy Dancer or ????????

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2002, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sure would like to know the status of these proposed bills. I checked the DNR website and ATVAM and found nothing current. Did we beat the whackos back into their cages again or not? When will we know about Nemadji and the non-designated trail status?

Old 03-30-2002, 01:39 AM
Pro Rider

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me, but I think it takes 30 days for a bill to become law after it has passed. If this is true, then it would be my guess that the trails in Nemadji should be open for the 6th.

Old 03-30-2002, 03:30 AM
Pro Rider

OK, the ride is on then. Let's meet at the cafe at Banning Junction at 8 a.m. like we did last year for a quick bite and then onto Nickerson to drop off by 9.

Old 03-31-2002, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

The Outdoor News has a write up about the proposed ban on forest lands. One interesting thing to note is that it says the bill states that the ban would not go into effect until AFTER 2000 miles of trails are desiganted for atv use. It went on to state that this process could take anywhere from 3-5 years. So all is not lost. We do have time. The state has too much to lose if they deicide to infringe on our sport.

Old 03-31-2002, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

oh innocent ones...the hurt is in the fine print..if the dnr approves of 1 mile within a state forest..the rest of the forest can and will become closed..unless posted open.MRR will gladly let us have the old rail road beds (boring) to keep us off the rest.If the commissioner sees damage he can close the forest done immediately for 30 days..Mrr considers any ruts damage , and they have stated they will inform the DNR. Gee I don't know about you but this aint good..

01 dash thru the woods.Nemadji..
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
02??
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 04-01-2002, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider

Perhaps I'm missing the big picture. But if there is 2K miles of designated trails, wouldn't they be guaranteed open regardless of location (state forest or not)? This is our tax dollars and registration fees funding the enforcement, maintenance, and establishment of these trails. Also note that the 2K miles will be designated "BEFORE" the ban goes into effect. So we may lose some areas. But do we really need to go everywhere.

The reason this has come to light in the first place is because the sport of ATV'ing has been relatively unorganized with no way to really police ourselves and the ability for those reckless few to go anywhere they damn well please and ruin it for everyone. We need to get these 2K miles established and prove to the general public that we are good/responsible people. Snowmobilers had the same battle back in the 70's. They were almost banned into extinction, but with the right decision making and the formation of clubs and organizations, established trails, training, and showing responsibility, they have a huge expansive trail network in the midwest to show for it. There is no reason ATV'ers can't have the same, but we need to quit squabling amongst ourselves and start working together.

Old 04-01-2002, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider

Scram,

the ride is on. Didn't see you online last night. AOL said you were idle for a couple hours. I'll be staying in Grand Rapids Saturday night. It's only an hour drive from Duluth. I'm going to be at the cafe at Banning Junction by 8 a.m. like last year if anyone is interested.

Old 04-01-2002, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider

You are missing something..the 2,000 mile trails figure is 4,000 miles less than we have now..not including the cross country stuff.
The ban is per forest with any 1 mile designation..its the fine print.
The monies we spent do not cover everything according to MRR . Look forward to a increase in fees. For all those who are interested, there is a lively debate at DNRs community Forum..be polite because legislators as well as MRR and ATVAM engage in some pretty intense point- counter point.

Old 04-02-2002, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider

those 4000 miles are not all designated trails though. That is the main goal, to get something designated. We don't need every spot of land out there and we should be happy that there is atleast somewhere to go as it is. We as ATV'ers as a whole are somewhat responsible for these issues we now face. WHY? Because we have not acted soon enough to secure these lands and trails. We haven't done enough to ensure that the enforcement is in place. We haven't policed oursleves enough. We didn't organize soon enough. Too many of us took our priveleges for granted. Too many of us felt it was our "right" and not a privelege. AND FOR THE MOST PART, TOO MANY OF US ARE LOOKING AT THINGS FROM A WORMS EYE VIEW (HEAD UP OUR ASSES) and are not willing to pull it out and wipe it off and work this out like the responsible riders that we should be. I am now through with this thread.

Old 04-02-2002, 01:10 AM
Pro Rider

Geeesh LEP - Don't hold back - tell us how you really feel....lol

Hey - It aint over till its over. Never give up - Never surrender. Adapt, improvise and over come. Lets not bail out until the the fire starts to burn a little. Yes there should have been action taken years ago. But thats in the past - can't change it. What we have is concern for today and hope for tomorrow. Ask not what the whackos can do to you - but ask what you can do to the whackos. Call your Senators Office tomorrow - tell them that these people do not represent your point of view, write letters and talk to the ATV people in your circle. When you see butt heads making a bad impression on people - remind them that they are hurting everyone else with their actions.

Fight the good fight! Stand up and be counted! Make a mark! We have nothing to fear but fear itself! Onward and upward! Take names and kick some butt. Its your country and your forests to!

OK eh?

Quick Reply: Minnesota, 4/06, Nemadji, Danbury, Gandy Dancer or ????????