Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

ocala natl forest

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 08:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where in the forest can i set up my camper? I need to find a place that has hookups and where i can just unload the quads and go.

Old 04-03-2002, 11:15 PM
Range Rover

Your best camping spot is probably the Big Scrub Campground. It is located about 8 miles south of State Road 40 on Forest Road 588 and probably about 7 miles north of State Road 42. You can unload and ride straight from the camp area at Big Scrub. The other campground at the extreme south end of the Ocala National Forest (Big Bass Lake Campground) no longer allows ATVs to ride in and out of the camp, effective March 1, 2002. You can trailer them in and out but that's no fun. Another good area to camp is the Lake Delancy area at the north end of the Ocala National Forest. One way to get to it is by driving north on State Road 19 north of Salt Springs. Day use permits are $4.00 at Big Scrub and $5.00 at Lake Delancy. There are actually two districts in the Ocala National Forest. The south district has '5's in front of the original two digit forest road numbers while the north end has the original two, i.e., 88 is north of State Road 40 and 588 is south.

Old 04-03-2002, 11:18 PM
Range Rover

Oops, I forgot to tell you there are no hookups at Big Scrub. I think there are some at Big Bass Lake though. There are actually two campgrounds at Lake Delancy and I think one of those has hookups, not sure.

Old 04-03-2002, 11:52 PM
Range Rover

One more and I'll quit. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Here's a satellite picture of Big Scrub Campground. Zoom the picture out and you can get a better idea of the forest roads that will take you there. Don't forget you can't ride on numbered roads unless your vehicle is licensed. Copy and paste the following URL to view. http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.c...p;Z=17&W=2

Old 04-04-2002, 12:50 PM
Trailblazer

There is alos another campgroup close to big scrud that he did not mention, it is called doe lake CG. The easiest way to get there is to get to big scrub and then go west on 573 and you wont miss it, it is on the left. It is really nice and has lake access, but you must trailer your quads in and out. You have to trailer them less than a mile back toward big scub and you will see the powerlines, you can park under there.

Old 04-04-2002, 10:34 PM
Trailblazer

Im not sure i'll be able to find big scrub, whats the easiest way to get there im coming from polk county? Also how much do they charge for camping?Do you have a phone no. for the ranger station maybe i could get some info from them. Thanks for the help.

Old 04-04-2002, 11:00 PM
Range Rover

You'll probably be coming up I-75. If you do, get off at US Highway 27 and go east. You're probably familiar with US 27. As you're going east for about 5 miles or so, you'll come to US 441. US 27 turns south at that point. Don't turn, go straight on across US 441, you'll be on NW 10th Street at that point, it's still four-lane. Keep going east on that four lane road until you eventually connect with State Road 40. Turn left (East) and just keep going, right on through Silver Springs, and on across the Ocklawaha River (Big Bridge). After you cross the Ocklawaha River, it's not far until you are in the Ocala National Forest. You have a ways to go yet though. After you go through a little community called Lynne, you'll be in da woods for sure. Keep going east and you'll see a fire tower on your right. Forest Road 88 turns north there, don't take that road. Continue east on State Road 40 until you get to the next paved road (588), about 2 or 3 miles. Turn right (Only way you can turn) and drive south on Forest Road 588 for about 8 miles. There you'll be, Big Scrub Campground. Pull in there and put your $4.00 in the honor system deal and you're good until 2:00 p.m. the next day. You can talk to the campground host, he's right there at the entrance. He's a pretty cool feller. If you get there soon enough you may find a spot on the west side of the campground where you can get a little shade from the afternoon sun. Have a good time and maybe I'll see you out there sometime. Not sure I'll make it this weekend.