Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Silver Lake info needed please :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2002, 02:35 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, Its been my dream for a long time to ride in the dunes at least once, So Im trying to get some information on silver lake before I make the 400 mile trip, The Michigan website really doesnt give much info for an out of towner other than the sound regulations and the parking vouchers for the weekends, I just need to know if I go during the week if I can ride and bypass the weekend jam ups and who to call to find out what kind of permits or passes someone from out of state needs? And last but not least is it worth the trip?
Thanks[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-17-2002, 08:32 AM
Pro Rider

Todd

Yes it is worth the trip. I plan on going up July 19 & 20. Heading down to Wayne this weekend though for a big three day ride.

As for Silver Lake, you will need the following to get in.

1. Your Ohio registration sticker.

2. A Michigan ORV sticker. Cost around $17 and can be purchased at the voucher center just outside of the park or at the gate.

3. A Michigan state park sticker. Costs $4 per day. You need one for your truck and your quad. Also can be purchased at the voucher center or at the gate.

4. You also need a flag. Buy one at the Dune store next to the park for $20. They have to be 10 ft tall on the quad and have an orange square flag.

5. Your machine must have a spark arrestor and be under the sound limit. I haven't been there this year yet, but the limit is 94 db, but I have read they are giving some variance on that if your sound is reasonable.

6. Make sure you wear a helment at all times. Michigan is very picky on this point.

You will really enjoy Silver Lake on that new Suzuki. Let me know if you have more question or email them to me.

Old 06-18-2002, 02:14 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks Magnun, So I take it you can ride on week days? Hope so, On another note do you run paddles on your EX when you go? If so give me some tips on what to look for so I can cruise ebay for a deal[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Thanks again Todd

Old 06-18-2002, 08:51 AM
Pro Rider

Todd

Yes, Silver Lake is open 7 days a week after April 1 through October (I think). I have only been there one time. I only had my ex for about 2 weeks. I ran stock tires and it did just fine. I think I only got stuck once. As for paddles, they are not necessary, but will give you extra hook up, especially if you are trying to do some drag racing. I may borrow a set of rears the next time I go up, just to try them out before I shell out $50 per tire to buy a set. From what I have been told, the paddles give you way more traction, but reduce your ability to throw the rear end around (not a big priority at the dunes). Post a thread in the Dunes section on the benefits of paddles and which are the best.

You are welcome to join us on July 19 & 20. We are heading up on the morning of the 19 and returning late on the 20th. You will have to watch that new z400 closely though, may catch a guy in red fox clothing on it taking it for a test run [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]