Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Chuck Swan and Catoosa WMA East TN.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2002, 01:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for someone that can tell me how many miles of trail's that are atv legal in these area's, and how is the terrain, easy or difficult? would like to try them both, but don't want to be disappointed.

Old 07-01-2002, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stakk - I've been to both, although it's been a while since I rode Catoosa. I know where you usually ride - Catoosa is not too different, just easier. Catoosa has many miles of legal trails/ legal gravel roads. Trails that are off limits are marked closed to traffic with red signs. Overall there are quite a few gravel roads - one main one that goes all the way through the middle of the WMA. Then there are many ATV type only trails. To compare it to Royal Blue, Catoosa is easier although there are many more wider river crossings than RB. As far as size goes, Catoosa is 80,000 acres, almost all of it rideable.

Chuck Swan is a different type altogether. 26,000 acres and just under 200 miles of trails. There is a main gravel road that travels through the middle with side trails weaving off both sides. 90% of the trails are dirt/gravel and wide enough for a regular truck. The other 10% are easy ATV trails. These trails are great if you want an easy ride. It was a great place to go to teach my 8 year old how to handle the Honda 90 and I went once with my wife for an easy days ride. Other than that you will not find any challenges there. There are several hardpacked open stretches if you feel like some speed but there is a 25 mph limit. The scenery is good and there are a few old cemeterys that are interesting to look at. Be advised that the best (and just about only) place to park your truck at CS is at the check-in station at the entrance where the road changes from asphalt to gravel. Almost all trails are open but there are some side trails that go to planted fields that are marked closed. Most trails lead to Norris lake but it is my understanding that you can not drive on the beach areas. There is a map at :

http://www.cs.utk.edu/~dunigan/mtnbike/csmap.gif

Overall I would call Chuck Swan easy and Catoosa moderate.

Jaybee

Old 07-02-2002, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider

Thank's Jay, just want to try somewhere new, might do Catoosa the next few weekend's the river crossing's sound good as hot as it's been. we have good places here in the county, Brimstone,Smoky Jct/Montgomery where they turned the Elk loose,Chitwood Mt.and Blackhouse Mt over in Fentress county is great, and of course Royal Blue is about a 20minute drive, It just comes time tor try a new place every now and then, I'm trying to get my friend's to take a 2 day trip to Upper Tellico Labor Day weekend, have never been but hear it's wild........

Old 07-02-2002, 01:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

we've ridden catoosa the last two weekends had a great time both times we rode about 70 miles both times never on the same trail twice there are some good mud holes right now with all the rain up there this past week we camped both weekends at the bi-color checking station and met alot of nice people on the trails just stay off the trails marked with red paint and you will not have any problems with the game wardens they've be real helpful as to show us the best trails to ride