Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

How is the Hatfield and Mccoy system in early to mid November

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2002, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planing a trip around November 9th I was wondering if the weather is still ok out there in november. I know alot of people go in october but we just can't get the trip together in time for this month. any info on the november climate, would be very helpful.

thank you

PS. Where is the best place to stay if you are coming from Arkansas.

Old 10-03-2002, 06:56 PM
Trailblazer

thought I alreay replied to this but it must not have went through. Too much time on the internet I guess. Anyways, that would be a good time. You will get some good fall foilage shots too. Seems Oct. is popular but I have several freinds that make a number of trips down at that time of year. Prepare for cold mornings and temps around 50-60 in the day. Very pleasant but when the sun goes down, it gets cold. Also be prepared for rain because it can drop a pleasant temp down fast at that time of the year. Have a fun and safe trip, and if I can be of any assistance, feel free to contact me.

Old 10-03-2002, 10:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have toyed with taking my family to that area to ride as well. A couple questinos though

1) Age/cc limits for younger quad riders?
2) need to buy any ORV stickers etc like we do in Michigan?
3) Would the terrain and trail conditions be beyond a real beginer skill level? I am specifically concerned with my youngest son - he is on a motorcycle not a quad - does ok...but is not the most aggressive assertive rider in real gnarly terrain. My oldest just moved up to a Blaster, and is just now learning to use a clutch...another concern. For me...the more gnarly...the better!

Old 10-04-2002, 06:54 AM
Trailblazer

All the age limits are listed at www.trailsheaven.com I spoke with a ranger yesterday concerning this matter for some people who had contacted me with the same question. Although their website states that HM sticks to the manufacturer age limits, their most concern is that the kid fits the quad. Just so you don't put a five year old on a 500 sportsman you are going to be OK. As far as the trails, stick to all the green trails with the kids. Plan your route out at each trailhead with the ranger prior to leaving, or if you like I can help you do that also. A little bit of planning and asking questions can go a long way in preparing a trip to HM including the kids.

You do not have to have any type of license or stickers. The only thing you will need to have is a HM permit that you can purchase at the trailhead or on trailsheaven.com Hope this helps, feel free to contact me with any other questions or concerns you may have.

Old 10-04-2002, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

I went the SAT. after T/Gvng, last year. I will do the same THIS YEAR.
Last year was perfect sunny, and 65 degrees. You could see for 40 miles from the mtn. tops, no leaves to block your veiws. It is incredible, go for it!
If you want the name of a good guide service/atv rental, private message me.

Old 10-04-2002, 01:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey, how's it going? My buddy and I are planning on visiting the H/m trail areas the weekind of the 12th. Can you offer any advice as to where we should look to ride and camp? We are both reasonably experienced riders and love wide open fire trails with lots of jumps.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-04-2002, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider

dragracer--- Get in touch with WVexRider. He's from the area and knows 100's of miles of trails.

Old 10-14-2002, 01:22 PM
Trailblazer
Default How is the Hatfield and Mccoy system in early to mid November

My friends just rode H-M this weekend and they said it was a *&%$*ing blast. The weather can be very cold that time of year in the mountains, but we have had very mild winters lately in WV so it probably won't be too bad. I would avoid Thanksgiving week simply because of deer hunting season, I don't know there rules in the H-M area for hunting. I just bought a house or I would have went this past weekend. I'm planning on going this spring.

Thanks,

Dave

Old 10-14-2002, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider

I was told that the county that H/M trails are in, the IS no gun season for deer. I saw no hunters of ANY kind out last year. This year Oct5/6, I saw 2 squirrel hunters out, no problems there. Just waved and rode by as quietly as I could.

Old 10-14-2002, 09:35 PM
Trailblazer

I was down there last year during the 3rd weekend of Nov. and missed the Fall colors (too freakin' late). I was down ther this past weekend and missed them again (too frerakin' early). (Plus a couple of times in between.) The locals say the the sure bet for the foliage is to come down the last weekend in the month of October. As for the riding and the scenery; that's guaranteed to be great whenever you go! Almost Heaven!

If you've never been before, my recommendation is to get a guide, especially if there are inexperienced riders in the group. The area is so vast, the possibilities so limitless that you will probably find yourself talking to others on the trail on at the trail heads and later saying, "I wish I would have........", or "next time I'm gonna........." They will be able to answer all your questions: Lodging vs. camping; where to eat, where to buy groceries, which trail heads for your style/group, etc. Do it right the first time and you WILL be back again and again!

The best around (in my humble opinion) is : www.WVTrailguides.org (Ask for Todd or Jeff) Tell them what you want in the way of trail preferences and they will see that you get it! Check em out, you won't be sorry.

Quick Reply: How is the Hatfield and Mccoy system in early to mid November