Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Best place to get CO trail info?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2002, 08:04 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best place to get CO trail info?

My brothers and I want to go out there in the middle of August next year (if it is dry enough to ride, camp and have a fire) but I've had a heck of a time finding detailed trail info.

We are trying to find enough moderate trails(don't feel like killing myself my first time in CO, a few rough spots wouldn't be bad though) to take care of about 3 or 4 days of riding. Preferably loop trails so we don't have to back-track. Any recommendations or matches??? The Paiute Trail in Utah fits the bill but my brother wants to check out the bar scene in Aspen. Personally I think he's a man-*****, but he does come up with some good ideas once in a while. I'll go with him on this one.

Anyone know of any websites or books that give detailed info on the entire state trail system? Where can I find them and which ones are the best/most accurate? Like to be able to look at maps before I go.

Thanks for the help.

SprtsMnFan

Old 10-15-2002, 11:09 PM
Trailblazer

i could show you guys some awsome trails around Vail and Grand Junction.
Heres my email:glen0022p@netscape.net or glen0022@aol.com just email me
and i will give my phone#.Dont worry it will be dry.
What kind of machine you guys ride?

Old 10-16-2002, 04:21 AM
Pro Rider

Try these 2 sites, both have lots of good info and maps regarding trails.

COHVCO and Fay Myers

Old 10-16-2002, 06:28 PM
Range Rover

gp250r,
Sounds good. I will keep your email addresses around until it gets closer to August. If we do decide on a few trails beforehand I will let you know. At least we could still hook up on the trails. (Sorry, I ment wet enough to camp and have a fire)

tmm2good,
Thanks, that COHVCO site looks pretty good. Have you tried one of those videos from Fay Myers?(...probably not you live there).

Anyone try Trailsource.com??? Any good?

Old 10-17-2002, 04:11 AM
Pro Rider

sprtsmnfan, I have one of the ATV video trail guides, they are pretty neat, show alot of cool riding area's and nice scenery. The guys are pretty boring that do the talking, but it is family "ok" to watch.

Old 10-17-2002, 05:40 PM
Range Rover

gp250r,
Machines=nothing that can keep up to a 250R. A '03 SP700, a '01 SP400, and a '00 450ES.

tmm2good,
What kind of info do they give?-Campground locations?-Gas stations?-Service shops? ...Just a few of the things I would like to know before I go.

Thanks again guys.

Old 10-17-2002, 09:45 PM
Trailblazer

sprtsmnfan,my question about what kind of machine you guys ride,please dont take that question in the wrong way,any riding style is fine with me
Its all about having fun and drinking beer after.I used to be a neighbor
of you guys.(french canadien)

Old 10-20-2002, 08:54 PM
Range Rover

None taken...Merely paying respect to a machine that I think should be reincarnated.

Checked out Trailsource.com the other day and found a few trails I think we'd like to try: 1) Brekenridge-(spelling?) 2) Pearl Pass and 3) The Alpine Loop. What can you guys tell me about these?...Can you do each of these in one day a piece?(I know they are pretty long but if the trails are ok we should not have a problem)...Will we need extra gas?...Terrain/trail conditions?...Single or dual direction trails?...Can a Raptor make it on any of these?(a buddy has one. If it can be done in 2wd he can do it.) Keep that moderate prerequisite in mind . (By 'moderate' I mean anything that doesn't involve uncontrolled slides or a good chance of watching my machine roll down a mountain[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]).

Old 10-22-2002, 04:40 AM
Pro Rider

sprtsmnfan, The videos only have info on the trail itself, very little details as to camping, gas etc...I am not familiar with the trails you mentioned, I would think your ATV's probably have a little more range on the gas than a raptor, you might want to carry extra gas for him [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
The trails around that I have ridden on are all uni-directional (no restrictions). Your buddy on the raptor should not have any trouble as long as you dont run into to much snow or mud. Most of the trails you mentioned are probably old jeep roads, so you have a little room to move about.

Old 10-22-2002, 08:47 PM
Range Rover

tmm2good,

You're right about that raptor...he can barely go 40-45 miles between feedings[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img], I'm sure we'll be carrying some along for him.

Which movie did you order? I was looking at the 90min video that describes 15 different trail areas in CO, but the title on the description page doesn't match any of those on the order form. At 20 bucks a pop I don't want to order the wrong one. Do you know which one I am talking about?

One more question: In Jackson County, WI there is a series of ATV trails. Every gas station in the area that is remotely close to the trails has little 2-3 page booklets that they hand out. In those booklets is info that includes a moderately detailed map and other things like: where to stop for gas, and where to park your truck. Is this the way it is in CO? Be nice if it was. If not, where do you guys get your trail maps or do you just wing it?

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Best place to get CO trail info?