Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

washington riders......

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2002, 05:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default washington riders......

horn rapids ORV park is just north of Richland, WA on HWY 240. to get there from the seattle area, the best way is to go west on I-90, take exit 143(?) just after you cross the columbia river.... go south on 243, then south on 240 to Richland.... it is on the left going toward town, there is a sign out at the road. this route going 70-75 mph takes about 3 hours. there is camping w/ restrooms & showers available at the park if you want to go over the day before.
but you can't pre-ride the course and the park will most likely be shut down to riding on saturday... they never said you can't walk it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-29-2002, 12:28 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Thanks for the info DualSport. Ive got to much work lately to go that far this weekend,,,, Which actually pisses me off, Ive been looking for a scramble.
Please keep me informed on others though.

Old 10-29-2002, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider

here's what i know of upcoming scrambles with quad classes:

11/17/02 'turkey scramble' at extreme MX outside of Spokane

1/1/03 'hangover hare scrambles' at Washougal MX

i hope to have a different quad by the new year so i can race at washougal.... my LT250R will be up for sale shortly after this weekend.

Old 10-29-2002, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider

what actually is a scramble?? i have heard things about it but dont actually know what it is and what you actually do?
thanks guys

Old 10-30-2002, 05:31 AM
Pro Rider

as for a description, this was taken from the NMA website:
Hare Scrambles/Grand Prix
These are closed course events of 5 to 30+ miles where you race for 2 to 3 hours depending on class. They are like a long motocross on trails, where fastest speed determines the winner.

Desert Races
These are open terrain, "speed rules" events. They may be long laps, or from point to point, but demand good speed and concentration. Various classes divide up the race for differing skill levels.

more details on other off road events, and the page this was taken from, see the NMA event descriptions

from what i've determined, desert races are usually higher speed(some times 100+mph on straights), and longer distance.... I.E. best in the desert series, baja 250, 500, 1000, etc.... whereas hare scrambles are usually more woods trails oriented, more technical, and slower, but just as difficult in different ways. normally they have a dead engine mass start for each class, using a horn or starting(blank) gun to sound the start.
the race at horn rapids is a short desert race.... and is fun for anyone wanting to try this type of racing for the first time. i haven't been to the scrambles at washougal or spokane, so i can't say how these races are, the formats they use or the difficulty of the terrain.... i assume it is similar, but more woods oriented.