Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

So. Calif.-TRAILER THEFTS

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So. Calif.-TRAILER THEFTS

A friend got his Weekend Warrior stolen from OFF HIS DRIVEWAY (in a very nice neighborhood) a few weeks ago!! My neighbor is a Colton city policeman, and he in a briefing last week, they said there have been 17 toy box trailer thefts in the Inland Empire recently. So, watch out for your trailers!! I use Kryptonite "New York" chains and locks. I put the locks through the spokes of the wheels, and run the chain between the locks and up around the frame.

Old 11-04-2002, 04:54 PM
Range Rover

hey YZ that sucks to hear about that but if they want something bad enough they will go through chains locks pretty much anything. All you need to do is sleep near the trailer with a nice 45 and wait for them.

Old 11-05-2002, 11:03 AM
Trailblazer

I got a tongue lock on the trailer.

I like your idea about the chain through the spokes. Unfortunately my heavy duty chain is too thick.

Maybe I need to drive a redhead anchor on the driveway and put the chain around the axle.

I am wondering where are the thieves selling these trailers???

By the way last Saturday I saw this 17 year old handcuffed at Gorman and I asked a bystander what did

he do?? The ranger stopped him because he was intoxicated and acting like an idiot and when they ran

his serial number the quad was stolen. OOPS!!!!!

YZGUY remember the 4X4 test area. It is off limits to bikes and quads. Only Jeeps at this time!!!

CUL
Marco Polo

Marco Polo

Old 11-05-2002, 11:12 AM
Pro Rider

My friend had a tongue lock on his trailer too!!! Actually, I don't run the chain through the spokes. I run the U-lock through the spokes, and attach the chain to that. I have left trailers unattended in the middle of nowhere like this, with no problem. I attach some orange flaging to the locks, so anybody thinking of messing with it, will see that first thing.

Old 11-05-2002, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider

My friend had his trailer and quad stolen to. He had the tongue locked, but the thieves simply unbolted the tongue, and installed their own. Something to think about. On his new trailer, he had all the bolts welded so that they can't simply un-bolt the tongue anymore.

Old 11-05-2002, 04:46 PM
Range Rover

Isn't it a shame that we have people in the world that cant use their own abilities to buy their own toys ?? If they would use half the energy making money rather stealing we would all be better off...right !!

So does the Kryptonite lock and New York Chain really work...mine will be stored in a shed but will be locked up inside the shed as well. What is the best way to lock it up and what length of chain do you have ??

Thanks for any info......[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-06-2002, 04:30 PM
Trailblazer

My trailer tongue is welded, but I would not be suprised if the thieves would whack the lock and break it.

ATV Meister, I have the Kryptonite New York Chain and lock, and my buddy who was a welder

says it is extremely hard to blow torch the chain because of the special alloy. They would simply cut the

frame or wheel and remove the chain hihi!!!

I think with our anti-theft measures we can only keep little "punk" kids away. For the real professional

you need a good theft insurance policy and pray that they will give you enough money to replace your

bikes.

Also don't advertise your toys in the neigbourhood. Low profile and keep your toys out of sight!!!!

CUL
Marco Polo

Old 11-07-2002, 02:25 PM
Range Rover

marcopolo,

I believe you are right when saying to keep our toys in a low profile in the neighborhood. Since that is where you store them all the time it gives theives more of chance to "case your place". It helps to have neighbors that watch your place when you are gone and even have your friends come over and check on your property while you are gone for any extended period of time too. How nice it would be if we could all just get along.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-07-2002, 02:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey AtvMeister

I use a (heavyduty 1/2 inch dia.?) 6ft Kryptonite cable lock ran through the frame and attached through TWO large eye bolts in the floor of my shed (set 5 inches apart so they cannot twist the eye bolts out.)

Old 11-08-2002, 08:09 PM
Range Rover

Nutcase, that Kryptonite cable lock can be cut with a 99 cent cheap pair of wire cutters. i once left my keys to lock that locked my raptor to my trailer at home, i ended up cutting the Kryptonite cable with the wire cutters, took 12 mins. i'll never buy another cable again.

-eddie

Quick Reply: So. Calif.-TRAILER THEFTS