Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Tell me your best Idaho and Montana trails.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 11:23 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tell me your best Idaho and Montana trails.

sharpie, thanks for the detailed info. My wife and I will probably go in late june or early july and try some tails, are there any specific challenging areas you could tell me about?

While looking at the topo maps it looks like there is a trail from Dixie down to the Main salmon river that may be fun. How is the road going in from grangeville to elk city? I'll be hauling a 28' toyhauler and would hate to have some 5mph winding mountain roads to deal with. If you are free and interested maybe you could ride with us for a day?

Jerry

Kawasaki P650
Kawasaki P360
(Maybe an ArcticCat 650 if consumer input is still good this summer)

Old 02-06-2004, 02:07 AM
Pro Rider

that sounds like a great time to ride, jsut beware, chances are that the higher elevations will still have snow. last i heard there was 7ft up there. i dont know that some of the best trails have names. some places to check out are anderson butte, elk summit, american eagle mine, american river, and many more. i've been having great luck finding these maps here if you like long rides, you can ride down american river, over the hills and throught the woods to american eagle mine, to anderson butte, and back to american river. about an 8 hour ride, 80miles, good scenery, some challenging sections, lots of up and down, my personal favorite. if you enjoy a challenge, theres a good spot to get muddy very near american eagle mine, and for a challenge, jsut look around. i've never had the chance to ride near dixie, so i reely dont know much about the area over there. the road up to elk city is no problem. nice, paved, easy. my family owns land up there so we jsut park our campers and always have a place to stay. sounds like fun riding with you. i better mention that i'm only 15 right now, got good grades and common sense so dont worry, i'm not an idiot. have fun.

Old 02-06-2004, 02:13 AM
Trailblazer

Sharpie, you are well spoken and polite. Are you by chance home schooled?

If you don't mind riding with an old man (i'm 29, my redheaded wife is 27) we'd be happy to ride with you. Thanks for all the great info.

Jerry

Old 02-09-2004, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider

Old 02-09-2004, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider

idahopraire I dont know as many trails as Sharpy but I have camped on Newsome creek Hunting Moose in that area and there are some very fun trails the old elk city road cuts through that area . Lots of fun . There is a sattelite salmon hatchery there and the drive up is gorgeous . Take lots of film!
Take a fishing pole so when your butt gets tired you can wade in Newsome creek .

Old 02-10-2004, 01:54 AM
Pro Rider

so idahopraire, what kind of trails do you like anyhow? i'm shure whatever you like you can find at elk city. theres always some good mud, tons of hills, probably some good snow patches, lots of tough spots, and i'm not shure if its legal, but there are some fun places to ride in the river aswell. The first time i'll be up there is memorial day weekend, and because of the winter runoff, the trail along part of american river if flooded, making a very intresting and wet ride[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] i can hardly wait to get up there this year. always fun.