Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Hatfield McCoy Info needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 08:40 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hatfield McCoy Info needed

I am looking for maps and info on the Hatfield and McCoy trails. I have not been able to down load the maps or brochure off of the internet. Computer locks up every time I try. We would like to arrive on June 14th (camp) and ride the 15th, 16, and 17th. We, would be myself and my 15yr old daughter. My daughter has been riding for two years now, but I would like to start on the easy trails and work our way up.
I am not looking for a guided tour just any information or help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Tim

Old 01-16-2003, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

Hi,
The trails are very well marked and they have maps at rhe trail head or headquarters between Logan( Bear wallow trail) and Rockhouse( best trail located in Mann). I have been once a year the last 3 and it has gotten better every time. I hear they were going to open a fourth trail head this fall but wasnt when we went. We have camped at Devil Anse campground which is located at/couple hundred yards from Bear wallow trail head. Its O.K. but located near road and not very big. Stayed at Paradise Island campground this year and it was better. Hot showers not extra and hosts very nice. You can ride in the river and they have a mud pit. This year we are going to try the campground in middle of Rockhouse trail. It is actually away from everything and beautiful views. You can ride to Gilbert by quad to eat and visit. The people love you and are glad to see you. It is a pleasure to go there and the trails are unmatched...if there is something specific I can help you with please ask.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-16-2003, 05:21 AM
Trailblazer

We were thinking of going there in mid March, what is the weather like at that time? Are there any cabins to rent in the area?

Old 01-16-2003, 08:43 AM
Range Rover

I was finally able to download the brochure. I have a question on the rules. It states “ATV operators must meet manufacturers’ minimum age requirements.” Does this mean my 5’11” 15 year old daughter has to ride a 90cc atv? Here in Wisconsin as long as she has taken the DNR safety course she can ride any size bike.

Thanks Tim

Old 01-16-2003, 12:59 PM
Trailblazer

grizzlytim,
That is a big question. I have seen on other ATV related boards that the rangers will not say anything as long as the youngester fits the machine. But if you contact the offical website they say "all rules" are strictly enforced. I don't like people telling folks it's OK then one day somebody shows up and can't let their kids ride.
I ride Southern West Virginia often. There are lot's of trails not included in the H/F system. If you can fine some locals to show you around you won't have to worry about the silly rules set-up by the H/F people.
Good Luck and I hope you can arrange to enjoy the great trails in Southern West Virginia!

Old 01-16-2003, 03:42 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Guys, those are the rules.......but no-one is gonna be hastled about rider age unless someone notices a small child riding and has no choice but too inquire. The attitude is laid back and no-one is swarming around looking for reasons too hastle riders.....enjoy yourself and stay on the designated trail for your skill level.

Old 01-18-2003, 06:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Is it ok to ride my daughter on the back of my explorer??

Old 01-18-2003, 07:44 PM
Trailblazer

Very good question harleyguy. They will break one rule will they break another?

Old 01-19-2003, 08:14 AM
Range Rover

We were down there this past August, it was awesome. We spent 4 days riding, we rode all three trailheads. We didn't come close to covering all the trails though. If money is not a big deal, I would try to stay in one of the rentals there. When we were there it rained pretty hard every night, luckily it only misted one day when we were riding. Which made the trails awesome, no dust at all. Heading to the trailheads of a morning we past a couple of the campgrounds and those people coming out of the tents looked pretty miserable. We stayed at a rental for around $60.00 a night for 4 guys. Thats only about 15 dollars a night-per person. I didn't think it was a bad deal for 2 bedrooms and 4 beds and a washer and dryer and all the other comforts of a home. I would just be careful and stay on the greens. The trails are pretty tough, but the scenes are awesome. I really don't think they will say anything about your daughter, I've spoke with others down there about the same issue and they all say, the rider needs to fit the atv. We never even seen a ranger except one time, when they were getting their bikes out of the building at a trailhead. Anyone who knows much about riding knows the age issue is a silly thing, I'm all for the safety of young riders but I think the size issue could be best made by a knowlegeable parent. My son is 10 and rides a Honda TRX 90. The tag says for 12-15 yrs old. My nephew is 15 and he's 6'4 and weighs over 200lbs. He can't even sit down on it, his knees won't fit behind the handlebars, unless hes sitting all the way back on the wheelie bar, then when he trys to take off it just wheelies from all the weight on the bar. If you go to the Hatfield-McCoy site and to the links, you can e-mail just about anyone of them and they will help you out, whether you stay with them or someone else. I'm currently in the process of booking our June trip down too, we'll probably be heading down late June.
Have a safe and great trip! DennisC

Old 01-19-2003, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: harleyguy
Is it ok to ride my daughter on the back of my explorer??
You wouldn't 'want' to ride your daughter on the back of your rig in those hills. No offense meant here, just an opinion that negates the fact wether it's legal or not.

These H/M rangers are 'hardbutt'.........they let what doesn't stick out as obvious 'go' and just plain 'stop' people from doing what you shouldn't.

What 'else' is there to complain about them? The lucky fact that they are there to just possibly help save our butts?

John

Quick Reply: Hatfield McCoy Info needed