Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Hatfield McCoy too much for youth quad???

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 06:23 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hatfield McCoy too much for youth quad???

if you want to have fun with your family go to the logan camp ground area where they have a flat area with mud bogs pit it a few acares of land plenty big enough for about 3000 people on weekends that they have gamborees there the have food live music ect.... its great and the people are nice to email me if you have any questions my wife also knows about it to incase she answers you to

Old 04-10-2003, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider

The penalty for a mistake at H/M is death ( or at least a messed up quad). Actually, they are the best trails I have ever ridden (been 4 times) but would not even think of taking child. There is plenty of riding they could do but the risk is too much. Adults are going over the side sometimes...just somewhere I would't feel safe taking my girl. If you do go on another trip make plans to go there with friends. It absolutely rocks and if you call yourself an ATV enthusiast you must ride this trail. We drive from SC every year. This year will be 5 in a row and can't wait to try new trail.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-11-2003, 08:41 AM
Trailblazer

Just got back from H/M yesterday.................GREAT riding...........had an 8 yr old on a 80 yamaha and he rode from Man to Gilbert on green and had no problems, also rode the entire loop around Bear Wallow which was a little trickyer but he did fine......on any of the bad stuff we sandwiched him between two adults just in case. He has been riding less than a year and the biggest problem he had was learning to downshift when needed, but after 4 days of riding he has mastered that.

Old 04-15-2003, 12:58 AM
mgd
Weekend Warrior

try park falls wisconsin. we went last summer and took our kids, (6, 8, and 15). smallest 4 wheeler was a 50 scrambler. we went on a 80 mile loop (maps provided by the forest service) and had only one problem with water on one trail that the 50 and 90 couldn't make. all the trails are marked and there are lodges, campgrounds and bars along the way to get gas, food and beverages. you have to be registered with your state or you can register with wisconsin dept. of natural resources it takes a month by mail and costs about 20 bucks. the state has thousands of miles of trails.

Old 04-16-2003, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

Are there not age/cc restrictions in HM? Here in Minnesoda you can't ride on public trails under 12 years old, and only with a ATV safety training certificate for 12-16 year olds. Every year several young people die from rolling over a atv bigger then they can handle. Sometimes the light doesn't come on until the ambulance shows up. I'm sure there are greater regrets then standing outside an emergancy room...but I don't want to think about them.

Old 04-27-2003, 12:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have been the Hatfield McCoy trails. Stayed in Mann. Mann oh Mann what trails, dangerous in some areas, steep and very rocky. Flip mine and broke a finger sliding down rocks on a black trail. Got up and rode to Gilbert for lunch and a splint. Awesome scenery. When it rains the trails become very slippery. Some are very narrow. One woman took a 60ft slide after we had crossed a very narrow slippery area where two outside tires barely were on the trail. All in all we had a great time, but I do not feel that children should be on their own too dangerous.

Old 04-27-2003, 09:32 PM
Range Rover

That is about how we feel. We were down the first week of April again. They have changed the green trails at Rockhouse - they aren't as difficult as they used to be (or maybe I am getting used to the area??) The GREEN trail that I rolled my quad on the very first time down is now changed, they have taken that particular climb out - made a new trail around it. It is still not a place our daughter will ride any time soon. We sure do LOVE it though!!

Old 05-03-2003, 01:08 PM
Trailblazer

Lots of great info in this thread. I am planning on making the trip this summer. I wanted to bring my son, but I have a few questions. Is Double riding allowed. and are the age restrictions inforced? I have an 11 year old who can ride a bayou 220. Thanks for any info.

Old 05-04-2003, 10:34 AM
Pro Rider

Theres no double riding what so ever.

Old 05-13-2003, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

i agree with everyon on the little one...there is very little area i would take my son who is an awesome rider(will be even better than dad[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img])...it is awesome there but like even when i was there a guy made a mistake of too much speed on a corner and it cost him a life flight on a helicopter.....there is areas for all skill levels but a youth quad would just be just too much and you wouldnt get to enjoy it much cause always havin to help them

Quick Reply: Hatfield McCoy too much for youth quad???