Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Rattlesnake Bay Closing

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 09:51 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattlesnake Bay Closing

I went riding at Rattlesnake Bay in Mississippi today and they had signs up saying that effective April 1, 2003 it would be closed to all atv unless they were used to retrieve large game. It said something about they were closing because of soil errosion or something like that.

Old 03-24-2003, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider

Will this be a permanent closure or temporary?

Old 03-24-2003, 08:14 PM
Trailblazer

From the notice I read while there this past Saturday I understood it to be a permant closing. (Enviromental issues).
Very disappointing to see. As this was my first trip, for they recently closed a small but close riding spot near me in west Mobile (Miller's Park). My son and I are scouting out replacement locations. Guess you can say Saturday was "2" rides for us at Rattlesnake Bay,,,our 1st and our last.....

On a brighter note, did find out another place in North-west Mobile (off Kushla-McLeod Road)..Woods and several dirt pits to ride in. Variety of trail conditions. We traveled aprox 27 miles , only covering maybe 50% or so of the well "beaten" trails. If I had to guess I would say the area is well over 1000 acres, and I may very well be under estimating that. Meet up some other local riders while there that gave us a somewhat better overview of the area. As this location is only aprox 20 minutes from my home, it will develop into my "last minute" riding spot for my son and I.

Old 04-08-2003, 10:36 PM
Trailblazer

I called the forest service today, they said that they are going to do some reworking of
the bay and would open up sometime later this year. Also heard that tiger creek is
to be worked on too. Not sure when, so now where do we go?

Old 04-09-2003, 12:05 AM
Range Rover

Man that would be great if they open it back up. It is a really cool place to go ride. There is not many places with the kind of jumps, mud and trails all together that i know of. I know there is tiger creek and bethel but i have only heard bad things for sport riders there.

Old 04-09-2003, 09:20 AM
Pro Rider

Deerhawk, are you aware of those trails off of Richburg Road? A lot of people ride those and I've seen it talked about in another message board. It was described as a pretty good place to ride. You get on the trails on the west side of I-59 where Richburg Road crosses.

Old 04-09-2003, 11:05 PM
Trailblazer

I have seen the trails from the road and down the powerline but haven't stopped to
find out about them. I have a lead on a place around Beaumont, suppose to have
300 acres and alot of sand dunes. Let you know something as soon as i can.
I recieved some material on how to start a atv club. Let me know if you are still
interested. I live in the Oak Grove area.

Old 04-11-2003, 10:23 AM
Pro Rider

I am interested and live on Oak Grove Road. As far as those sand dunes in Beaumont, I may know where you are talking about. I rode there about a month ago. Some 16th Section land between Beaumont and Richton and on the east side of Hwy 15. There were a lot of guys out there riding and I watched a guy flip his KFX400 during a race. I almost flipped mine too when ran off the track going over 50. Luckily, I was able to get it slowed down. I don't know if I could find it again. My home computer got zapped by lightning that we had Monday night and when I get if fixed, I'll find that link that shows where the thread is about the trails off of Richburg Road. There were about 10 posts on the subject and most talked about how much fun the trails were.

Old 04-12-2003, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

Deerhawk, if you can, send me an e-mail at rebelds@comcast.net

Thanks

Old 04-13-2003, 07:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I am intrested in the Beaumont area. I bet I know where your talking about....I am drawing a blank for the name of the place. Turn left off of hwy 15 if your heading South. Its on hunting club property. If its the same place becarefull. PM me for some details. ....Hintonville, thats where I am talking about, finaly came to me.LOL

I sure hope they open RSBay back up. That was about the only real good legal place to ride.

I used to live right behind the OG elem school, but moved north about 10 years ago.

Can you ride the sand/gravel pit north of 98? Maybe the road name is something pit road, its behind a gas station just before you turn left to go to OG. We got kicked out of there one time but it was a long time ao and I have since heard you can ride there again.

Quick Reply: Rattlesnake Bay Closing