Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Rode Broken Bow, Ok.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2003, 10:25 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rode Broken Bow, Ok.

My wife and I rode the National forest area and the wildlife management area north of Broken Bow, Ok. this weekend. We stayed at the whipperwill lodge about 12 miles north of Broken Bow. It was a good place to stay because we were able to ride from the property to the trails on our ATV's. They are a little expensive, but worth it. We did a lot of exploring looking for some rough or tough riding, but it was mostly pretty flat. The trails are well marked with trail numbers which correspond with markings on maps which are given away at local convenience stores. We rode about 45 miles Saturday and could probably have ridden for a month without seeing the same trail twice. The next time we go, we will ask around for directions to some more challenging areas. I guess the only bad part of the ride is the fact that Oklahoma charges $25.00 for a riding permit which is required on the game management areas but not the national forest. That cost is for out of state riders. I believe it is a lot lower for residents. I was told your four wheeler will be impounded if you are caught riding without a permit. I don't mind supporting the maint. of the trails and roads in the riding area, but it seemed a little steep. We ate at three different restaurants in the area and wouldn't recommend any of them unless you just want to get full. If you just want some fun riding on good trails, I recommend the area.

Good Riding

Ted

Old 04-06-2003, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider

Broken Bow is a fun place to ride. You stated that most of the trails are flat. This tells me that more than likely you rode the west side of 259. For the tougher terrain cross 259 and ride towards the lake. Lots of fun stuff there. You can ride from some other cabins, just be sure to call and ask first. We typically do 100+ miles a day. As far as the $25 fee goes that is for one calendar year of riding. Heck we usually pay $20/day at some other places. For $0.000025 per acre I'd say thats a good deal.

The food in the area stinks. But after 12+ hours of riding a day it will fill your stomach. We have tried just about every place up there. And beware of the "fast" food places in town. They are everything but fast. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

If you need further info on the trails or want some trail numbers to try shoot me an email.

Old 04-07-2003, 01:23 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for the reply texmud. Yes, we did all of our riding on the west side of 259. Just looking at the map, it seemed like a lot more area was available to ride west of 259. We drove the east side in our car looking for trails and entrances to trails. Only saw a couple of trails from the road. Not a lot of space between the highway and Lake Broken Bow, maybe two or three miles. Unlike Wolf Pen Gap, you can't just go scouting down the highway on your ATV looking for trail entrances. Understand the local law boys frown on that. On the west side, we only found one really steep trail and it was short. We also found one fairly rocky, steep, trail which was also short but neither compared with the good trails at Wolf Pen. We will be going back because it is only five hours from the house so it is a good area for a weekend trip. When we learn the area, we will try for some of those hundred mile days unless we find some trails we love and just have to go over and over the same trail. I guess you can rack up 100 miles doing that. Give me some of those good trail numbers and I will file them away for the next trip. Gotta go to Mena first though.

Thanks again

Ted

Old 04-08-2003, 12:25 AM
Range Rover

Hey TexMud,

If you know any of the lodges on the east side of 259 that have openings to the trails, I would really appreciate that information. I would also like to know some of the trail numbers that you believe are good to ride.

Thanks in advance

Dusty1

Old 04-08-2003, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

Just south of the Mt Herman area there is a ton of riding area between 259 and the lake. I am talking more the north end of the lake up by what looks like 54000. You will have to forgive me as my good maps are in the garage. I am trying to read the one off my web site. If you only saw a couple of trails I'm guessing you were too far south. We have 3-4 areas that we usually park in and ride from there. It is illegal to ride on the side of the road and the tickets are steep. Its my understanding that Arkansas state law is the same. The terrain is different that WPG, but I can tell you there are plenty of hills that are tougher than WPG. Heck go outside WPG up by Albert Pike and it will make WPG look like a kiddy park. Given the sheer size (1,000,000+ acres in the TRWMA alone...not including Honobia) it takes time to learn where everything is. We make it a point to not ride the same trails over and over. Heck, my goal right now is to make it to Clayton via the "K trail" on quads alone! If you have a GPS, I can give you some waypoints and routes to follow. If you are going to the WPG area I can also tell you some fun places there. I will have to email my buddy to get the lodge name as our trip last year was cancelled. I'll try to get a map from the garage and get you some trail numbers. Feel free to email me.

Old 04-10-2003, 11:16 AM
Trailblazer

Guys....I am going to Broken Bow this weekend...I usually stay at the Whip-Poor-Will also....but I am just making a day trip this time. I am suppose to meet Rubiguy up there. He says he has only ridden on the east side of 259 and I have only ridden on the west side. I hear the east side is more challenging...I guess I will find out....maybe we'll see you guys up there.

Old 04-10-2003, 10:36 PM
Range Rover

CANOEMAN23,

We won't be going this weekend, but may on Easter weekend (long weekend). I'm sure we are going to wpg in May. Since you have only ridden the west side of 259, what is your opnion of the trails on that side? I thought they were kinda boreing. TexMud says they are more interesting on the east side. Unless you or someone else who rides the west side can tell me about some good trails on the that side, I am going to the East side next time.

Ted

Old 04-11-2003, 12:49 AM
Pro Rider

Having been there so much there isnt much we havent seen. With that said, west of 259 is the same everywhere. Its all pretty much flat logging roads. North of Mt Herman there are some rolling hills, but still all nice logging roads. May not be the most exciting thing to ride, but heck sometimes its nice to just ride, relax, and take in nature.

If you are going this weekend let me give you a great place to park and ride from. One of our favorites. I'll do my best to explain.

After you go past the state park on 259, continue past the other two state parks (Carsons Creek and Stephens Gap). About a few miles north of this the road will bend to the right and off to the left you will see a high line(power line up real high...hence the name) going up a big hilll with a dirt trail next to it. As a side note you can NOT, cant stress that enough, NOT ride the high lines. Its against state law. Anyway, after you curve right, it will again curve a little to the left. There will be a parking ares (nothing more than dirt to park on) on the right. Its big enough for 3-4 trucks with trailers. From here you can ride some nice trails on the east side, or cross the road and ride the west side. Be 100% to not block the trail entrances as there are some prime camp spots back there and if you block a truck in you will be sure to get a visit from the authorities. This is a great place to park for a day trip.

Old 07-06-2003, 02:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] At last i find some information on ATV riding near Beavers Den. Planning some tent camping
and was reassured there wasnt much ATV riding near the Park area. Thanks guys , hope i can find all
these places you have mention . Be safe !

Old 07-23-2003, 02:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

Does anyone know of an RV park in the Broken Bow area with direct access to the trails for ATV's?

Thanks,

Pete

Quick Reply: Rode Broken Bow, Ok.