Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Soo Line ATV Trail, Mn-Wis

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2003, 12:45 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soo Line ATV Trail, Mn-Wis

I am planning a trip starting in the Mille Lacs Lake Mn area and heading over towards Superior Wis. I am aware of a few trails off the main line down around Mille Lacs (Red Top) but I was wondering about side trails between Moose Lake and up into Douglas County Wis. Does anyone have maps of these side trails if they exist? Is there any decent hotels off the trail in Wisconsin or near Moose Lake Mn? Any must hit places to eat or relax? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 04-22-2003, 01:11 AM
Trailblazer

Lucky for you I just rode this tonight. My dad and I started off in Moose Lake on this trip and headed all the way to Superior trip total was 67 miles both ways. I have also rode the soo line from Onamea(spell) all the way to moose lake my family has land around McGarth so we always ride that area. Well the big trail off the soo line is Red Top thats it, theres some loggin roads and stuff but thats about it. I guess if you see atvs going off one way and dont see a no atving sign or no tesspassing then its open game(kinda). Theres nothing in Wisconsin or pass Moose Lake just, woods, farms, and some nice views . Moose Lake has a few hotels and the soo line runs right through town. The only thing you should know about WI is that at the end of the soo line there is a gas station we found that out tonight, and the soo line doesnt end in superior it ends about 8-10 miles south of there in a little dink pot town, I cant even remeber the name but there was a gas station there, its open tell 7pm at nights just so you know and we barely made on time. Some hot spots would be Denum(not should on spelling) Run its a bar right on the Soo, you cant miss it(its the next town pass McGarth about 10 mile north), they got food and its a new place and is very atv friendly. You can get all your maps on this web site, MN DNR Trail List.
Tonight I went down this one trail off the soo, its just north of HWY 26 maybe about a mile or less, this trail was hard to ride even with my rig. It was sweet so I want to try it again, prolly not legal but there wasnt a no atv sign and tons of people had gone down it. I dont know where it went but it looked cool. And theres a few other logging roads and dicths you can ride. Oh and we also seen tons of wildlife on this ride tonight. We seen 40+ deer, a few beavers, a Great Horned Olw, balded eagal, a grouse, and driveing up on the freeway we seen two beer cubs climbing a tree which was cool and my dad at night on the trail seen a big bobcat but i didnt see it because he was leading and i was to far behide.
Oh and Red Top doesnt open untill May 15 just so you know.

Old 04-22-2003, 05:26 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info. Is anyone aware of any trails that start where the Soo Line ends in Wisconsin. I would like to find enough trails for about 5 days of riding.