Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Where do you ride in the black hills SD?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 10:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do you ride in the black hills SD?

I am going out to the black hills of South Dakota and can't find any thing over the computer on riding in the black hills. I have heard that there is trails out there but where? Also where do you find the maps or info on it. If you know let me know. thanks

Old 04-28-2003, 09:38 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't been out there since 96, I think I contacted the chamber of commerce in Rapid City,they sent forest maps and such. We went about 16 miles into the Black Hills National Forest,to a little camp ground near Deer Creek. Unless the laws have changed,we were told the roads and trails were all open unless posted, even areas fenced off for cattle, most had signs just asking to close gates that were closed, or leave them open. The main thing is to watch for cattle, a lot of the forest is free range, and you can run into a herd pretty much anywhere, or what they leave behind (hope the fenders block good, and DON'T get any on the muffler or pipes peeeyooooo !!!) There are literally hundreds of miles of old logging roads, trails, cow paths and secondary roads open to explore, it is hard to pick a spot to start, and no way you can run all the trails no matter how long you ride. Found some cave and old mines, nice cool break on a hot day, climbed some small mountains for incredible views, it was a great trip. Aferwords, we took the Needles trail (narrow,curvey road with some loooong drop offs!!) for a scenic return route, and went through Custer park,got to see buffalo a few feet away, and wild donkeys and mules come up to the window for a handout, watch out,they bite !!

Old 04-29-2003, 07:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Where exactly in the black hills are you going, i live out here maybe i can give you some ideas.

Old 05-05-2003, 05:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well we will be at a camp ground called rush no more in sturgis for about four days and than we have not made any other plans. I guess I am still looking for some good ATV spots. I have been to the KOA by Mount Rushmore and it is nice but can you atv the horse trails?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 05-06-2003, 08:07 PM
Range Rover

..sooner or later..you will be approached by someone..who will say..your on private property..the fire road gos through many land owners who hate..fast driving,dust making atvs...drive slowly around cabins. stay on trails..most of the old mines are on private property..better have prior permission to be there..get a $7.00 map to know what areas are "OFF limits"....or face a fine...been going there since ' 79...have property in Boulder canyon and up maitland rd, near carbonate mine...

Old 05-21-2003, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone know which trails around Hill City are good? I would like to find a few old mines, some stream crossings, good scenery, etc.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]