Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Hurley Rally over Memorial Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 01:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hurley Rally over Memorial Weekend

Fax from Iron Co. Forestry Dept. dated May 13th Reads:
"Because of recent flooding, most town roads (routes) in the northern 2/3 of Iron County are closed until maintenance can be done on washed out culverts and bridge approaches. If a town road (route) is closed & barricaded, it is considered closed for all vehicular use including ATV use. All forestry roads (routes) are considered closed with the exception of roads in the Birch Hill area (Saxon-Gurney). Closed forestry roads (routes) are closed to ATV travel until inspection/maintenance teams can get to them and assess their conditions. Trails remain closed at this time. Crews are working overtime to repair this recent flood damage. Please be patient and understand the situation all road crews are in."

If I can be of any help to anyone else, just ask!!!

Old 05-14-2003, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider

Nutz , that dosen't sound good for the rally ! Can you post again on Friday ? Thanks

Old 05-14-2003, 06:22 PM
Trailblazer

I agree Jack I 'll see you on Thursday at 12:15 CT at your House.

I'am glad there has been response from the folks who live up there on this thread and greatly appreciated your comments and no BS Hey?

Mac the Red Rhino member of the HO Train

Old 05-14-2003, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

Hey (ho train ) guys, where are you staying for the rally ?

Old 05-15-2003, 10:09 PM
Trailblazer

Bellracing2:
Last year we stayed at Island Lake. We usually stay at my Sisters cabin just east of Glidden, Wi which is 20 miles west of Island Lake. We try to stay away from the conjestion in Hurley. We went to the mud runs a few years but that got old. We would rather be on the trails.
It really doesnt sound encouraging with all the culverts and bridges washed out up that way. I am sure we will be able to ride somewhere.
We will arrive Thursday afternoon, unload and go for a fifty mile ride or so. Friday, we meet up with some friends and do some heavy duty riding. Same on Saturday, Sunday. Monday, Probably just do a short run and either head back or sit back and relax. Enjoy the ride!!
JigginJack
2002 Polaris Sportsman HO-X

Old 05-15-2003, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

Jigginjack , if all the trails are closed are you guys still goin to ride on the r.r. grade ?, or ya gonna go where its closed ? We were going to stay in mercer but I don't know if we are going to drive 6 hrs. to do r.r. grade .

Old 05-16-2003, 08:56 AM
Trailblazer

Bellracing2:
We are going regaurdless of trail closings. I believe there will still be plenty of trails to ride besides the railroad grade. Hopefully they will have the secondary roads fixed. As of right now, most of these are still closed to vehicle travel which also includes atvs. Hopefully these will be fixed. But, we are still going. I understand how you feel. Six hours is a long drive. A bad day four wheeling is better than a good day at work.
You can check out Hurley chamber of commerce at www.hurleywi.com
If you would like to recieve a trail update send an e-mail to ironcountywiinfo@centurytel.net
They are saying that most trails will be open so that sounds encouraging. I would check this site. I also will post an update on this thread by Monday evening next week on the trail situation.
I am only 2 1/2 hours away so a little shorter ride for me.
Jigginjack
2002 Polaris Sporstman HO
ITP C series Aluminum Rims
Stamped Aluminum Cargo Box
Hand warmers
Warn 2500 Winch
Much more
Charter Member of the Iron Range Riders and the "HO" Train
Good Riding!!!!

Old 05-16-2003, 12:49 PM
Trailblazer

I will be out riding on Monday and Tuesday! I will let you know how the trails are.

Old 05-16-2003, 02:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok everyone!
I just hung up the phone with forestry dept. and he said that Corridor 51 is "passable"
Also, trails in Sherman, Oma, Mercer & Gurney are open. All the rest are still considered closed.
They are working on the trails daily (actually they are as I am typing).
I want everyone to know I will gladly give you any reports you want, just ask. But also know that I'm not gonna b.s. you either. If the trails are tore up I'm gonna tell ya (I wouldn't wanna tow my atv a few hours to have terrible trails - nor do I want you to come back and yell at me). So be assured you'll always get an accurate report. I just ask the same in return if I'm ever headed your way.
Anyway, it looks like there will be enough open for the rally. Not exactly sure just yet if everything will be, but I think enough to get some good rides in. I'll get another report on Monday morning and post it!!
Have a great weekend!

Old 05-16-2003, 05:48 PM
Trailblazer

nutzforatv
Thank you for the update. Any info you can pass this way will be appreciated. Wish I could go with you on your ride but...have to make money so that I can go next weekend. Enjoy the ride
Jigginjack

Quick Reply: Hurley Rally over Memorial Weekend