Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

why the RAPTOR will always be the king... IMO

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 02:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why the RAPTOR will always be the king... IMO

AZ - you sold the 686?

This is kinda funny how a little topic of "why the RAPTOR will always be the king... IMO" turned into a pred vs. rappy. Also I hate when everyone says that the raptor is "tippy", maybe if one of these people knew how to ride, and shift their weight they might relize how much better it is vs any of the other <u>"STOCK"</u> is. Hopefully one of these days these pesky pooplaris owners will learn their quads arent as fast as they think.

Old 05-20-2003, 02:48 AM
Pro Rider

TRUE DAT!! The Raptor will always be king no matter what kawa-cocky, supuki, pooplaris, brokendale, or smackadier come out with, just get over it, the raptor paved the way of the future for all of you wannabes and you are pissed that the company that you guys love so much didn't do it first.... Stepaside raptor, we want to be just like you, and to name a few here they are: Predator (body looks like a raptor) DS 650 (great machine but is ugly as hell and wants the speed that the raptor produces) KFX400 and Z400 ( I don't even want to go there)... NUFF SAID!!

NuG

Old 05-20-2003, 02:49 AM
Pro Rider

well said CT....so lets get back to the topic...."why the RAPTOR will always be king??...." because no one can pull me and my Rappy apart!!! Its TRUE love....of course...unless my wife reads this...."LOVE U TOO BABE"...LOL.....I'm sooooo whipped...LMAO[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-20-2003, 03:20 AM
Pro Rider

Just thought I would point out that the DS came out first. And I don't know if anywhere that I stated that a Predator is faster than a Raptor. I ride with a Raptor owner all the time, I already have had my experiences riding against a Raptor, so I have my knowledge on the subject. The body doesn't look like a Raptor. There arn't any headlights hanging under the fenders. The stance is totally different.

I'm not even sitting here saying that he Predator is BETTER than a Raptor, just trying to set some misinformed close minded individuals straight about facts. You can do all the name calling you wish, just shows who you are (ie kawa-cocky, supuki, pooplaris, brokendale, smackadier). Sure, I wish that Polaris did come out with the Predator a while ago, but I'm also glad that they waited and actually tested the machine before people had to bring them back for reliability issues.

"The funniest thing is that you are arguing on the yamaha forum about your quad that is not even in the same powerclass as the raptor after modifications the gap only gets larger - a lot larger." I'm not arguing with anyone, but what are you talking about the same power class? The stock Predator has more HP than a stock Raptor off the bat. Any mod/big bore kit you can throw into that thing can be done to a Predator. The biggest difference between the machines is the cost and cc's. Kind of funny that a 500cc machine keeps up/passes (in cases) a 660 cc machine. There shouldn't even be a chance for the Predator to keep up. I didn't think there would be when I bought mine, but I proved myself and my Raptor owning friend different. Don't be so afraid of the Predator, it's just a guy and a machine who are doing the same thing as you, out riding and havin some fun.

As for links, you can see what a jet kit and airbox mod can do to a Predator at ESuperBike. That's just one source. I personally don't know much the airforce kit, I went a different route. At 6.2 max hp increase at 4500rmp with the airbox and jetting, that's a nice increase. Oh ya, that was done with the WB pipe and then done with the WB pipe and airbox/jet mod. HMF says 5 max hp with just their slip-on. I would imagine that the WB would be about the same. So a total of around 11.2 hp gains. Sound pretty close to 10 to me.

Old 05-20-2003, 03:56 AM
Pro Rider

Alright I will join into this really long thread.

I really doubt the Raptor will be king after the new wave of quads come in. The raptor puts out about 43 hp to the crank stock. The CRF450 motor throws down 55hp to the crank. Even if they detune if 5 hp the new honda quad should take out the Raptor stock for stock. It should be interesting.

My Raptor is finally back together and ready to sell BTW. I rode it with the new cam and what not. It is still way fast. To bad Yamaha sucks and cant put together a decent suspension or keep it from being rediculously top heavy. I enjoy riding my stock 400ex so much more than my Raptor. The only thing i miss is the power. But the suspension, lack of weight, and jumping ability make it so worth it. I really look forward to the 450 honda coming.

And If honda comes out with a 650exr, there is no doubt in my mind that the Raptor will be dethroned. I bet it will be dethroned by the 450. If honda makes a 650 that is lighter, and has a frame with the same physics as the 400ex it will kill all around. But you can always get a Craptor or Banshee and go straight and fast. yippy. Gets old fast if you ask me.

Old 05-21-2003, 02:02 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ProXPredator
... HMF says 5 max hp with just their slip-on. I would imagine that the WB would be about the same. So a total of around 11.2 hp gains. Sound pretty close to 10 to me.

Huh?

According to the article I read with your provided link they did some jetting also to get the 5hp increase.

That little section right above the HP numbers that says "Modifications" is important too.

Also at the same site you provided the Raptor gained 7hp with only their slip on and jet modifications.

So your point is what?
Because with the HMF Slip on only
mod for mod you get 2 additional HP on the Raptor

Now the Z-400 equaled your Predator with just a slip on and jet mods so at 100 more cc's your growth potential is equal to a 400cc quad.

All of the above "facts" is from your truthful HMF site so don't hate, you gave the ammo.

In reality though I believe manufactures boost their numbers but since you believe them ...

Also your other link that had 8hp increase was with airbox/jet/WB slip on.

Now Raptor owners help me out but don't we get more than 8HP with airbox/jet/slipon?

Looks like Mr. Fact over looked some facts too.

I would choose better links for my defense in the future.

Also You still have not crested 35hp (according to your posted SuperBike link) with Airbox mod, jetting, and slip on. Unless those numbers on the side of the graph are in some form other than HP

I think the Raptor is above that stock.

Old 05-21-2003, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider

Up with that Big Black.

Old 05-21-2003, 05:39 PM
Pro Rider

Those are HP numbers on the left. Remember, running a dyno you are not going through the gears. You only use one gear. I used that as a reference for the gains achieved. The first run was with just the slip-on. The second run was with the airbox mod and jetting to dial in the airbox mod. Now if you figure that the slip-on added 5 max hp over stock (I figured you could figure out most people do jet when adding a pipe, sorry I didn't specifically tell you that), and the airbox and jetting to match added 6.2 max hp, that would come to 11.2 max hp gained over stock. So no, I didn't overlook any facts. Seems to me, you didn't read "That little section right above the HP numbers that says "Modifications".
The Predator has more stock HP than a Raptor, according to this, 6 hp over. This coming from the same dyno, so you can't say all dynos are different. The numbers might be up or down 1 or 2, but basically the Predator is 6hp in stock form over the Raptor. As for you Z thoughts, here's another dyno from DynoJet. These are stock dyno's, unless you see something different than me.
Does that explain it a little better for you? I'm not one to get into "this is better than that" crap. It's just stupid the way some people talk about something that just isn't true. Anyone can mod the crap out of anything and gain hp, but the other guy with the other quad can do the same things and gain hp too. Mis or under informed people who yack their jaw off, with nothing to back it up but their thoughts. Those are the dynos off the same dyno in the links above. They might not be exactly correct, but they do show the difference. That was my point.
Predator = 42hp stock
Raptor = 36.04hp stock
Z-400 = 29.34hp stock
400ex = 25.98hp stock

Old 05-21-2003, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ProXPredator
.. (I figured you could figure out most people do jet when adding a pipe, sorry I didn't specifically tell you that)
So who were you trying to mislead with the following statement:
...HMF says 5 max hp with just their slip-on....
Seems to me, you didn't read "That little section right above the HP numbers that says "Modifications"
As far as HMF site I did, I think I am the one pointed out it was not only a slip on as you first stated but a slip on with jetting. Your ESuperBike link does not have the word "modifications" any where on it so what are you referring too.
Mis or under informed people who yack their jaw off, with nothing to back it up but their thoughts
I was simply using what you provided as reference, I do not really care but if you use something as a reference it should back up what you are saying
...Now if you figure that the slip-on added 5 max hp over stock ... and the air box and jetting to match added 6.2 max hp, that would come to 11.2 max hp gained over stock.
Not in the real world. You cannot simply start adding numbers together to come up with a total. If that were the case I could build a 600+ small block Chevy with bolt ons (20-30hp from K&N, 10-15HP from headers, 10-15hp from Mufflers, 5-10HP Mass Air Flow Sensor, 5-10HP Throttle Body Spacer, 15-20HP Matched Injectors, 5-10HP High Output Coil, etc...) Hell 2 K&N should give me 40-60hp using you analogy. The more you add to an engine and reach closer to its peak potential the less increase each component adds.

This is Yamaha's backyard; we will stand by our machines. You do not see me in the Predator's backyard.

Also from your last two references the Predator tops out at 65 while the Raptor was over 70. Could some parameters be a lttle differnt on the 2 totally differt dyno runs? If not there it is with less HP the Raptor still wins top end.

All in all lets ride and have fun, Dynos do not when races its who crosses the line first. I never seen NASCAR declare a winner due to a HP curve.

1991 C-1500 vs 1990 Mustand LX, who would win?
1991 is naturally aspirated small block running on pump gas weighing in at 4040lbs
1990 is NOS powered (125 kit) small block running on pump gas weighing in at ~3000lbs

1991 took him by almost 1 second would you ever believe that?

If not I have video and timeslips to prove that one.

On paper 1991 Truck should not have had a chance but I crossed the line first 4 or 5 times.

Old 05-21-2003, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider

Predaturd with 42 hp stock...BAhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img], sad...

and for those dyno runs prox did you have both the pipe and airbox mod on at the same time for this supposed 11.2 hp gain??

Big Black - Dude I would love to see that, send me the thing to jason@xnote.com ..this s gonna be awsome makin fun of all thems avid mustang lovers..

Quick Reply: why the RAPTOR will always be the king... IMO