Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor engine experts please step inside.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor engine experts please step inside.

Originally posted by: MarylandRaptor
I would hate to see you burn up those pretty new valves from running lean.LOL Personally I would wait until I could afford new carbs to start. But that's just me.
Running lean has nothing to do with a carbs C.F.M. rating. Running lean is affected by air/fuel ratio. Just because the stock carbs will not be optimal for the engines performance potential does not mean that they cannot be adjusted to get the correct air/fuel ratio.

Old 05-14-2003, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

marylandraptor: his stock carbs will work fine, they work very well with my engine and it's built almost exatcally the same cept different guy did the port work.

Old 05-14-2003, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: sixsixT
Originally posted by: RAPTORAZ
Originally posted by: sixsixT
I would have the crank assembly dynamic balanced. The hp will depend on the port work and if you change your exhaust.
Good suggestion on balancing. I take it that you don't like my choice in exhaust?
The exhaust will work fine but it will probably make a lot of the power down low and will effect the hp number you end up with. It all depends on where you want to make power.

My exhaust choice had two deciding factors. One is price. And two is, the Graydon and Sparks pipes are the only two pipes with both larger than stock head pipes and larger than stock mid pipes.
Which equates to better flow on a larger than stock engine. So theoretically both pipes should have superior mid and top then the others. I picked the Graydon because my builder recommended it and it's $130.00 cheaper than the Sparks.

Old 05-14-2003, 11:34 PM
Trailblazer

What are the specs. on the Megacycle Cam? I've never heard of it. Any info would probably be nice for a bunch of us. Thanks!

Old 05-14-2003, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: lilMike
What are the specs. on the Megacycle Cam? I've never heard of it. Any info would probably be nice for a bunch of us. Thanks!
I found their web page but it doesn't have any info listed. I'll them call tomorrow and give you all the results.

Old 05-15-2003, 12:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry I didn't notice the pipe in your list I was looking at your sig.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] I thought it was funny you were going to use the stock head pipe with that setup. I figured you might want to pull stumps when you were done with it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-15-2003, 08:04 AM
Pro Rider

TTT

Old 05-15-2003, 01:59 PM
Pro Rider

BUMP

Old 05-15-2003, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider

yosh also has bigger head pipes than stock...

Old 05-15-2003, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider

I was going to save this little bit info for myself although nothing special, but since you have the money right now and I would like to see you run against King Raptor and hopefully beat him. Those guys need a good humbling sometime.

I wouldn't get a new exhaust, just go buy one of the MBRP headpipes. They should fit the Pro-Circuit which I think is a good pipe also. But in the grand scheme of things, what's another $150 for the Sparks over the Graydon. Another but, I've also heard to go with the builders recommendation because they are familiar with that setup but don't just get sucked in with what they sell.

If you don't mind, how is your engine builder? I live in Gilbert and am looking for a good local engine builder. PM me if you don't wish to spread the news too much.

Quick Reply: Raptor engine experts please step inside.