Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor engine experts please step inside.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor engine experts please step inside.

i really doubt that any midpipe is bigger than the yosh but whatever,you guy;s will fight to the end on that subject,and if it made that much of a diffrence then every pipe would be made like that,,

Oh wait it's a sparks secret..lol

Old 05-16-2003, 01:46 PM
Pro Rider

It was a secret you were trying to find out a few weeks ago when you were trying to sell your Yoshi for a Sparks.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
JMO but I think its how fast the pipes turn out from the head and the bigger mid at 2inch oposed to 1.75

Old 05-16-2003, 01:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: raptor03
i really doubt that any midpipe is bigger than the yosh but whatever,you guy;s will fight to the end on that subject,and if it made that much of a diffrence then every pipe would be made like that,,

Oh wait it's a sparks secret..lol
Sam, here is the measurments from the dirt wheels article on the Raptor pipe shoot out. I know the dirt wheels sux but the measurments are useful info.
SIZE & WEIGHT
One area that can effect horsepower is the inside diameter of the headpipes. The stock Raptor headpipe measures 1.1 inches. This is the same diameter as the headpipes on the Alba, White Bros., CT, Trinity, FMF, Bill’s and the Pro Circuit units. The Graydon, Big Gun, Sparks and Yoshimura measured out to a 1.25-inch inside diameter.
The next measurement we checked out was the distance it took for the two header pipes to converge into the single mid-section pipe. The majority of the pipes made this connection within twelve inches from the engine exhaust ports. The FMF unit, however, traveled twenty inches before joining the midpipe and the Trinity headpipes traveled all the way to the muffler#.
Another measurement we compared was the outside diameter of the midpipe. Trinity, Bill’s, Pro Circuit and Yoshimura had the same 1.75 inch diameter as the stock Raptor mid pipe. Alba, CT, Sparks, Graydon, FMF and both White Bros. mid pipes were larger at two inches.
All of the pipes in this shootout weigh less than the stock Raptor unit, which tips the scales at 13 pounds. The lightest one of the bunch is the Pro Circuit at a feathery 7.6 pounds. The heaviest one is the CT unit at 11.25 pounds. The rest fall somewhere in between these two.
Article

Old 05-16-2003, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider

OH shi! i guess i better get a sparks.Yea right....

and also it says where power can be a concern is in the head pipe, not the mid!

but that's a dirtwheels article.lmao

Old 05-16-2003, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider

yea pat im turning into you...Dammit

no woder i have been loosing it's that dang .25

Old 05-16-2003, 02:21 PM
Pro Rider

if it made that much of a diffrence then every pipe would be made like that,,

Keep in mind that all these pipes were designed for stock engines. And a larger mid pipe may not make any difference on a stock engine. It may not even make any difference for my 727. But I'm still going with the bigger is better theory.

Old 05-16-2003, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider

OH shi! i guess i better get a sparks.Yea right....

and also it says where power can be a concern is in the head pipe, not the mid!

but that's a dirtwheels article.lmao

Flow is determined by restriction. And on any of these pipes, the biggest restriction is gonna be in the mid pipe. Because the headers are already larger than the mid pipe.

Old 05-16-2003, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider

so how much bigger is it actually, if it makes a big diffrence i might want to look into a bigger mid pipe,would i be able to tell from just riding it? or is it really restricting the engine..

i might just call yosh and see if they offer a bigger mid pipe.. i will show there response..

Old 05-16-2003, 02:33 PM
Pro Rider

it also looks like the sparks has a bigger head and mid,and some of the other ones have a small head pipe and a bigger mid pipe,or visaversa??

Old 05-16-2003, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider

so how much bigger is it actually, if it makes a big diffrence i might want to look into a bigger mid pipe,would i be able to tell from just riding it? or is it really restricting the engine..
I doubt it would make much of a difference. I'm sure the cost wouldn't justify the means.

Quick Reply: Raptor engine experts please step inside.