Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

RPM Vs Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 04:21 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RPM Vs Shifting

This might be best answered by somebody with a tach.

How many RPMs do you lose from shifts, gear to gear? I know its going to depend on which gears but a close estimate say 2nd - 4th. This would be with 14/40 gearring and 20" tires, but anything would work. Just curious.

I was looking at the dyno charts that MBRP posted earlier and was thinking about where the proper place to shift up would be. But I don't know how much you lose per shift. I guessed about 3,000. Is that close?????

Old 05-15-2003, 11:54 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default RPM Vs Shifting

From 3rd too 4th, I would say maybe 1k rpm's loss when shifting. Best place too shift is at your peak HP level....or maybe only a couple hundred rpm's in the overrev....too help stay in the most powerful zone.

Old 05-15-2003, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default RPM Vs Shifting

If you want I can check after I get my clutch all put back together. I have a Ron Woods tach. My gearing is 13/40 (Stock). While I am installing the clutch I am also putting on Sidewinder tool steel sprockets and titanium chain. I'll let you know.

Old 05-15-2003, 05:44 PM
RPM
Pro Rider
Default RPM Vs Shifting

Who is Shifting, and how big is He? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-15-2003, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default RPM Vs Shifting

I think the more power you have the less RPM's you lose during shifting. Prolly about 270-3000 stock then dwindles down from there as the more power you get to pull the gears.

just my .02

Mike

Old 05-15-2003, 06:03 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default RPM Vs Shifting

Originally posted by: WallStreet
If you want I can check after I get my clutch all put back together. I have a Ron Woods tach. My gearing is 13/40 (Stock). While I am installing the clutch I am also putting on Sidewinder tool steel sprockets and titanium chain. I'll let you know.
Hey WallStreet...how do you like the RWR tach? How big is it....got any pics? Does it work instantly? Where does it mount? If you don't mind, how much was the cost?

Old 05-16-2003, 06:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default RPM Vs Shifting

Thanks guys.

Yeah wallstreet that would be really nice of you. I would like to hear about the tach as well, if you don't mind.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Gary, thats what I was thinking, just a little further than peak. I wasn't sure how much further to go.

Thanks again![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 05-16-2003, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default RPM Vs Shifting

I got the tach from Ron Woods Racing for $225. It came with everything you need as well as good instructions. I believe it is 3" in diameter. It looks pretty big but I really like it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I get quite a few comments about it at Waynoka. It mounts on a bracket that bolts to the left side of the tach and then curves down so it fits underneath the bar clamp. The only problem I have had is a tiny (I mean tiny) amount of sand settling in the bottom, but it is not even enough to make a neat freak like me get mad about. It plugged right in and installation took about an hour (with the help of a buddy). I have washed it several times and have had no water get in it, you just cannot spray the water straight st the face (the back is waterproof, they say). It has no delay even when you wick the throttle open in neutral. Over time of hard riding at Little Sahara, the bolt that holds the clamp slowly becomes loose and in the whoops or jumps it will tilt down a little bit, but no biggie, just tip it back up with your clutch hand. It also has a backlight so you can see it at night. If you rev it up right before you turn the key off, the needle will stick at whatever RPM it was at, Looks freakin' cool! But that's just me. Alot of guys don't like how big it is, but I do.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] It is the same tach that that guy had on his otherwise stock blue Raptor that someone posted here. You should be able to find the post by searching.

OK, I think I am done running my mouth.

P.S.-Whoops, not quite, LOL. I just wanted to say I had my stock bumper, grab bar, and heat guards for the Yoshi chromed, and had the clutch cover polished and bought billet inspection plugs and had the starter cover polished to add a bit of bling to the other side. You should see it, looks bad ***!

Also, I don't have a digital camera yet, but I will try to use my friends to post some pics on here.

Later,

Wall Street

Old 05-17-2003, 05:53 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default RPM Vs Shifting

Thanks for the reveiw wallstreet!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Wow $225 seems pretty steep, but it sounds like a good product.
Where does it conect too? Obviously its not an inductive kind if it has no lag in the readings.