Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Difficulty getting in/out of reverse and an electrical ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difficulty getting in/out of reverse and an electrical ??

Hey,

went trail riding yesterday. several times i need to back up, but when i tried to get the shifter from R to drive the shifter didn't want to go forward. so i had to get off, hold in the clutch, and push the warrior forward a foot or two and then it would go into drive. almost seemed like something was in a bind. (generally happened when i was in a tough spot) and once i had the same problem trying to go from drive to reverse. i looked at the linkage briefly and nothing looked wrong. any ideas?

not sure if it's related, but sometimes my neutral light doesn't come on. i'm guessing there's a sensor somewhere for this. where's it located? the reverse light comes on fine btw.

last question: i'm not into deep water crossings or anything, but you always seem to run into water somewhere on the trail. any reason NOT to but some dialectic (sp?) grease in whatever electrical terminals i can find to waterproof them? (this works great for keeping water out of a dist.cap on your Jeep or 4x4 truck)

thanks,
bigmac

Old 05-18-2003, 05:11 PM
Trailblazer

no, basically warriors always have a notchy reverse engagement. Don't worry, warrior tarannys are bulletproof. just ease the clutch, and rock it.

Old 05-18-2003, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider

kill the motor then shift into forward or reverse

Old 05-18-2003, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider

Hey,

notchy is one thing . . . but i actually couldn't force it into drive. (yes, i pulled up on the lever). also the first time it happened, i did kill the motor, rocked it, and it still wouldn't go into drive. the only option was to push it forward a foot or two, and then it would go in.

also, the neutral light is annoying. i can only start it if i've got the clutch pulled in; it won't start in neutral. ideas?

thanks,
bigmac

Old 05-18-2003, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider

My girlfriends warrior has never done that. If she ever had a hard time with it I WOULD KNOW immediately.

Old 05-18-2003, 08:06 PM
Trailblazer

ok listen, i had an 88' warrior which i beat the HELL out of, meaning reverse/forward moving, having lever half engaged, ect....but it sounds like you have a REAL problem ...i would say one of 2 things....eaither your reverse lever linkage has somehow comeout of adjustment...or your shift forks for reverse have become bent and requires you to possibly split the cases....try adjusting the linkage first though, and if your clutch is dragging it may also cause this problem!

Old 05-18-2003, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider

Hey,

this reverse problem doesn't happen all the time. i can go ride it in the yard and not have a problem with it, but happened maybe 3 times on the trail.

what would be some signs of the clutch dragging? for example, occasionally if i start it in reverse, even if i have the clutch all the way in, it still rolls backwards. (doesn't always do this, but occasionally).

thanks,
bigmac

Old 05-18-2003, 09:23 PM
Trailblazer

yeah, basically any machine will drag SLIGHTLY when cold. GO by when the machine has been running for a while, and is hot. When you are in neutral and put the 350 into 1st does it do more than a little jump? does it try to drive foreward? If so, this may be your problem. It is possible to shift it in this condition into first because you are using your foot and the lever has quite a mechanical advantage. however, when you use the reverse lever, it may be Much harder. Also, the only was to fix this problem is to Usually buy a new clutch basket/ and boss. They, you will find are grooved. I'm sure you thought of this, but if it is dragging, do you have too much free-play in your cable? another thing is that warriors have a tricky reverse normally, and sometimes you have to rock-them/ bump the clutch. hope this helps!

Old 05-18-2003, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider

Hey,

no, it doesn't jump when i put it into 1st. maybe your right and i just need to find the right technique for working the clutch/rock/reverse procedure, lol. since this problem doesn't happen all the time, i guess i'll be ok for the time being. i'll check the linkage again and hopefully it won't get worse, cause there doesn't seem to be a simple solution.

thanks,
bigmac

PS: any thoughts about the neutral light? or water-proofing?

Old 05-19-2003, 10:11 AM
Trailblazer

basically, if you look around on teh engine, you will find the terminal for the neutral light. I haven't had a warrior for 3 years so i can't remember where it is.......but it is probably on the shifter side of the engine? anyhow, if you can't find problems with the "electrical" portion, you MAY have bigger problems, when my raptor tranny blows, the gears are all messed up, and neutral light dosen't work, and it's Hard to shift/ Although i seriously doubt that a warrior has had a failed tranny(bulletproof), anything is possible. Yes use dialectric, just make sure you use a little bit, don't make any paths to ground !

Quick Reply: Difficulty getting in/out of reverse and an electrical ??