Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Clutch Basket question?? Help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor Clutch Basket question?? Help.

Originally posted by: WallStreet
The Hinson basket does not come with the gears on the back. You have to either grind off the heads of the rivets, or do like I did and drill them off then tap them out with a punch. ;
Maybe the rivets are loose?? What kind of shape is the basket in otherwise? deep grooves?

Old 05-21-2003, 11:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

No, the rivets are tight. The big gear thats driven from the crank gear does not have play. The outside of the basket has small scratches around the whole basket from what appears rubbing on the inside of the case. There are slight scratches on the inside of the case. But the nut was tight when I took it apart to check. I assume the scratches were because of the "wiggle" the fact that the basket is loose when on the shaft. Here is a video to see what I'm talking about. Clutch Basket 1.5mb windows media player required.

Old 05-21-2003, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

wshrdskin,
All I have to say is that you are the man wshrdskin. You do your own work and are the master at taking videos and placing them on the net for others to view. That was the best way that I could see someone asking for help on a question.

ba01raptoraz

Old 05-21-2003, 11:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thanks, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Bob Craycraft has answered the question but he has not seen the video. I emailed him, I feel i made the question understandable. I'm just looking for confirmation of what I feel is a bad basket, more than one anyways [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. I already have purchased the new stock basket and a new clutch boss to go with it. Just need for the parts to come in. I'd have videoed the crack in the bearing or brass sleeve inside the middle of the basket but it would never show up with my cheap video equipment. If anyone see's this and has a basket laying around please check these gears and see if they move. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] I'm way nervouse about anything unusual anymore since the rod went through the cases, don't need a repeat of that. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Wallstreet,

I'm sorry I didn't answer your question yet. Yes, I was very impressed with the Craycraft port job. Very clean and precise. It looked as though they new what they were doing. I'm no expert at all but it looked great to me. I have raced a few Banshees and only lost to 1. Its posted in another thread (the video of it). I've raced 2 DS 720's and lost to both 1 by 2 bike lengths or so (punisher, formerly angrybajaboy) and the other by 4-5 bikes or so (annihalater). I have not raced any other 686 yet that I know of, If I did they lost. I was working on the jetting etc when this problem occured so I'm still not at my best yet. Some day soon I hope. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-22-2003, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

Wash, I went out and took my basket off. And it does NOT move like yours does in the video. Its tight. The plastic gear will move just a touch, but nothing like yours. Sorry.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 05-22-2003, 10:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Don't be sorry. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I thank you very much and appreciate the time you took to verify for me. As crazy at it sounds I am actualy happy that yours does not move and that this could very well be what my problem is. It's a much easier fix than tearing my quad apart all the way again to find the problem. Maybe luck is actualy shinning on me a bit. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Thanks.

Old 05-24-2003, 12:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Got the new basket and clutch boss today. JFYI. The movment on my old one is not normal. The new basket gears had no play at all. Its all back together and ready to go ride. Wish it were winter time, I'd go to Dumont tomorrow. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Thanks for the help.