Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Changing the Wolverine Gear Ratio

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing the Wolverine Gear Ratio

Actually its about a 2 hour drive from my house to Hyndman Pa when you know where you're going and going a little over the speed limit. I figured I would drive up and check it out. Its a pretty cool place, he has a test track around the back through the woods. Im not sure if there is a warranty, If there is, I didnt get it. I dont know if there are any sites where the products are listed. I usually see them in the back of Dirtwheeles and they have phone numbers and stuff back there. You can get ahold of Mickey by calling (814) 842-6159 mon - fri from 4 - 7pm. What do you mean by the water cooler??? If you have any further questions I'll be gald to help.

Old 06-13-2003, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

I do not get Dirt wheels but i may need to pick and issue up.

-About the water cooler: I used to wrong termanology. I was refering to a water tight cooling fan to cool the oil. I wish to set up one of these as they have on the hondas. Has any body done this?

I think for me it would be more like a 5 hour flight to FST from here.

Back on topic: Have you ever heard of anybody swapping out LOWER gears to provide the 350 with more torque? That is still my question. I realize pipes help, and what size cam would provide the wolvy with more torque? Thank you.

Old 06-14-2003, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

I figure the gears out of one of those big bears would have to work to help it since all the parts are similar and they are geared too low. I would look into the Big Bear 400 4x4 since they top out at like 44mph, they have to be geared lower. I imagine they would work. I would go with a .390 cam, thats probably the best cam. Anything more and you are running a race cam. The .390 has good bottom and midrange power from what I understand. You could also run the stock cam, I dont think it would do a bad job, it seems that any other cam you use is more in tune for higher rpm power. I would highly suggest talking to Mickey, he might even be able to help you on the gearing operation.

Old 06-14-2003, 09:30 PM
Trailblazer

Speed Demon, your right on track with your email. You won't be disappointed. Mike. (500 wolv)

Old 06-15-2003, 01:24 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks Mike I appreciate everything, its nice to hear from you.

Old 06-15-2003, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider

thank you!

Aright, what parts would i need to swap in the first and second gears of a big bear? I have never 'dug' into an ATV tranny before and am wondering what i will encounter... If you could give me a run down on the parts i will need... thank you.

Yes, the stock wolvy cam does have low grunt, but i was wondering if any other cam would be good. Now i know that .390 is as high as i want to go. I am goin to have to do some research on this cam stuff.

Does Micky have an e-mail address i can contact him by? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-15-2003, 02:57 AM
Pro Rider

Im assuming you are going to have to do the very same thing that im doing with the top end gearbox but in reverse. I see no reason for it not to work. The parts below from the same bike that you are getting the gears out of. I did all of the research I can think to do on this and this is what i found out, and some of it doesnt make sense but here it is. Rear End Gears help reason why Wolverines are faster then Big Bears I think. A Wolverine has like a 3.020 rear end I would need the manual to be exact.

<u>Parts:</u>
Shift Cam Assy
Shift star (segment)
and the screw

More Wheel teeth = lower ratio
More Pinion teeth = higher ratio

I think the two work hand in hand to make the transmisson part of the gear ratio, sort of the same way it does on a 10-speed mountain bike.

02' Wolverine

Wheel Pinion
1 38 teeth 1
2 34 teeth 2 18 teeth
3 30 teeth 3 22 teeth
4 26 teeth 4 25 teeth
5 24 teeth 5 29 teeth

02' BearTracker

Wheel Pinion
1 34 teeth 1
2 34 teeth 2 19 teeth
3 29 teeth 3 22 teeth
4 26 teeth 4 25 teeth
5 23 teeth 5 28 teeth

98' Big Bear 350 4x4

Wheel Pinion
1 38 teeth 1
2 34 teeth 2 18 teeth
3 30 teeth 3 22 teeth
4 26 teeth 4 25 teeth
5 5

02' Big Bear 400 4x4

Wheel Pinion
1 1
2 34 teeth 2 18 teeth
3 30 teeth 3 22 teeth
4 4
5 5

Note: gears with no teeth number; the number of teeth was unavailible

I have never tried to mess with transmissions like this before but I think I have this much figured out. You need to contact someone with more knowledge on this subject and research it a little more. Maybe the lower size tire issue with smaller rims would be easier and less expensive to perform. This would have the same affect as going into the transmission and it would also let the machine down closer to the ground for a lower center of gravity, which would help out greatly on hill climbs, especially long steep power climbs.

Old 06-15-2003, 03:03 AM
Pro Rider

that didnt come out exactly like i wanted it to. The first row of 1,2,3,4,5 are 1st, 2nd, 3rd,....gears etc. with the number of teeth out from them for the Wheel gear. THe second row is the same but with the pinion gears.

And no I dont think Mickey has an E-mail address. He took the web site down. I think you will have to call him from the number i posted earlier.

Old 06-15-2003, 03:17 AM
Pro Rider

Now i have number to think about... I am going to review a schmatic of a tranny so i can get a more 'visual' picture of what is goin on.

While looking at the numbers, it seems to me that the wolverine has just of low gears as the big bear... this is not realy what i wanted to see. Maybe i am missing something. I do understand the 'bike' concept.

I have thought about keeping the lowe tire sizes, but the rocks in colorado require a lot of clearance. I did not plan on digging into the trannt to start with, but since there are no axle gears to change i guess i am kind of stuck. I was hoping to change the gears in the diffs. as i have done to my jeep. Surely there are aftermarket diff. gears, or am i smoking something pretty good.

Old 06-15-2003, 11:41 AM
Trailblazer

Speed Demon. I also cut the top of my air box lid and siliconed an outwear to it for more air. Not a good idea if you play in a lot of water. I also had the whole exhaust Jet Hot coated. It does help to keep the heat off the legs and helps in the summer. Get the 2000 degree if you do it. Mike.

Quick Reply: Changing the Wolverine Gear Ratio