Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Changing the Wolverine Gear Ratio

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing the Wolverine Gear Ratio

I am goin to be purchasing a Wolverine of my own this summer and was wondering about any diffrient gear ratios you could purchase for the axles? I am wanting to Make this something simular to my jeep. I know there are plenty of bolt on parts to give it that low grunt, but i and into doing long rock climbs... I do not like the feel of a griz, kod, or big bear.

Where can i buy lower gears for the Wolverine?

Old 05-21-2003, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider

I have hear of peope using gears from the big bear. I couldnt imagine the amount of torque that would give the wolverine!

Old 05-21-2003, 12:27 AM
Pro Rider

I may have to do some calling around. I searched for coverage on this topic but i found nothing.

Are the shafts that the gears fit on the same? If so this swap of 4 diffrient gears would be pretty easy. Any other goer's/ ideas?

Old 05-22-2003, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider

OK, i have found a page that says the guy swapped in the big bear FIRST GEAR. Has anybody else done that here or know of a good site to go to? Thank you?

Also where can you buy a WOLVERINE repair book? I cant find one...

Old 06-06-2003, 10:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

I know A guy that swapped 4th and 5th gears of a Big Bear to his wolverine for higher topspeed. I get you more info later when I get to talk to him again. His Wolverine Beats the Prarie 650 ,Grizzlys, Foremans , Warriors ,and Keeps up with the Raptor 660R and the New Z400. Get info and specs later

Old 06-11-2003, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

Yes Im putting the top end gearbox kit in Right now. It will run you $250 from FST. To be more specific, it is out of a 2002 Big Bear 2wd. It consists of....

4th gear pinion
4th gear wheel
5th gear pinion
5th gear wheel
Shift Cam Assy
Shift star (segment)
and the screw

Old 06-11-2003, 12:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

what is the FST website , i can't find it

Old 06-11-2003, 01:06 AM
Pro Rider

How much more speed will this give a wolverine? Just curious. Also i was initally concerned with putting LOW gears in for more pullin power.

Speed, if you dont mind me asking, how much have you invested into your wolverine? How hot does it run? How much steady low speed traveling under serious load can it handle? did you purchase the parts from FST or your dealer? where did you get your head work done as well? thanks
-I am asking because i will be doing some seroius climbing at low speeds and i dont think a big bore kit with air cooling will cut it.

Does anybody know what the best low end cam is, with out sacrificing much top end? I plan on doing one soon. Also goin to get one of the "R" white brothers pipes, had an "e" on the warrior and just trying something else.
Also, are the diferental gears changable in the wolvy to provice low end power? I think this would be easiest.

Does FST have a book or mag about the parts they sell? I was never able to get on theit site before it went down.

Thanks a lot.

Old 06-13-2003, 01:25 AM
Pro Rider

Sylvian, Mickey took the website down.

Blaster96, Im still building it. Those mods that I have run about $1500, and thats with me doing the work. I went to FST and bought the parts. AS far as the head, I am probably going to have a friend of mine do it that used to work with Mickey. If he doesnt do it I will have Mickey do it. I think the kit would probably work just fine especially if you put the additional oil cooler on there that FST has.

Old 06-13-2003, 01:51 AM
Pro Rider

Yes, i realize an oil cooler will work if the quad is moving, but i am talkin these are almost standing still long power climbs.. have you ever thought of placing a water tight cooler in there?

Also, are those FST kits warrneted? I take it you live close to the company to get all of this information. people out here in the middle of nowhere cant just drive over. Are there any fake FST sites with their products listed? Or do they sell a mag? thanks

Quick Reply: Changing the Wolverine Gear Ratio