Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Changing the Wolverine Gear Ratio

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing the Wolverine Gear Ratio

Thanks Tripower, I have the Intake setup down pretty good, Im going with the FST High Flow, Is that what you have plus taking off the lid and the silicon job? That is a pretty good idea. Did you get the Jet Hot Coating done through HighLifter, I saw it advertised in there. Along with keeping it cooler, does it also look pretty trick? Does it do like the advertisement says and bring power back to it? Thanks Mike I apprecitate it.

Blaster, Yeah I know I was think the same thing about the gears, it has me puzzled now. I think Mickey might be able to help us solve this. I hate to say it but no there are no rear end gears you can buy, I was thinking about that too. Maybe Mickey can show us something that we are missing, I think that the Wolverine has a different Rear end Gear. Maybe if you switch the whole rear end differential it would work. I know if you had a machine shop you could make it work. Just getting the drive shafts to hook up to get the power to it. If it wont work from the new 400 Big Bears, it might work out of the older 350s which were also geared lower. The parts look the same shape and size on microfiche. Its worth looking into, they arent aftermarket, but would serve the same purpose.

Old 06-15-2003, 08:52 PM
Trailblazer

I cut the air box lid about one and a half inch from the outside edge. I then bought a universal outwear, cut it open and siliconed it to the remaining part of the lid. I then went to Home Depot and got a PLASTIC Gutter Guard. These are pieces you put over your gutters to keep out leaves. I cut out some of the plastic bars but left some of them in for support. I then siliconed this to the bottom of the lid so the outwear won't get sucked in. There may be some company that makes something like this, but at the time of me doing this, no one did. If I was going to get the exhaust coated again, I would send it to a company in the East Coast. I had problems with Jet Hot. Twice is enough. I won't go back a third time. I just used the name. I should have said ceramic coating or such. If you want the low down on it email and I will tell you plus the name of the other company. which I don't have in front of me. Mike.

Old 06-15-2003, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

Thats a cool way to do the airbox, Ill will have to try it when I get mine back. Im not so sure about the jet coating my exhaust yet, I will most likely do it in the future but with that 446 kit and all the other things that I am doing, Im running out of money. All of those mods were over $1500. The Jet coated exhaust sounds pretty nice, I will let you know when I get ready to do it. Your 500 still running good?

Old 06-15-2003, 11:06 PM
Trailblazer

Bike runs fantastic. When will yours be done? Mike.

Old 06-16-2003, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider

Getting machine work done is no problem in this area. Plenty of shops to work with.

I do not think microfiche is drawn to exact scale. Now it is time to compare part numbers. Lets see, i will need to two gears for each end, 4 gears.... I am guessing they are about 50 dollars a piece. I hope something may come out of this. If possible, it would be cool to install the push button front diff that the new quads have. I am sure there are front end locklers for those. I will let you guys know what i find out about the axle ratios... wish me luck [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 06-16-2003, 01:55 AM
Pro Rider

Tripower, Thats awsome. I am waiting on Mickey to get the crank stroked and my clutch unit welded. I cant wait man its gonna be awsome. I cant wait to see how fast this thing is.

Blaster, Yes there are lockers for Wolverines at HIghlifter. What Im saying is that if the rear end on the Wolverine adn the one on the Big Bear are exactly the same shape then odds are they are the same thing just borrowed for the other machine. Oh wait, forget the whole rear end deal, If you change the rear end gear then you are going to have to change it up front too to keep the same ratio. Thats going to be some work, I think you would be better off going into the tranny. I am puzzled, but I know there is a way to do this. Let me know what you come up with.

Old 06-17-2003, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider

I think swapping the front and rear diff's out would cost to much... I am looking a replacing the Pinions in each housing. I think dealing with the front and rears would be better than tearing in to the engine/tranny. It just seems more straight forward than the whole tranny deal.

This is what i have found out so far:
-The 2000 Kodiac shares the same front gear as the 94 Big bear
-The 1999 Wolvy shares the same front gear as the 01 Big Bear

I would suspect that the rears would be the same...

With more searching:
-The 1999 Wolverine shares the same rear gear as the 01 Big bear
--On contrary the Kodiac and 94 big bear do not share the same part number. But the gearing would have to be the same..

I am going to study my information more, this is all i have regergetated by now.

Old 06-17-2003, 03:41 AM
Pro Rider

Thats what I was thinking too unless you got a good deal on a used one. Switching the pinion gears is definetly worth looking into. It would be alot less expensive. I dont know if you could switch them or not but its worth a try. Let me know what you find out, you might have to switch a little more then the pinion gears to make it all work.

Old 06-18-2003, 01:04 AM
Pro Rider

My next concern was if the gears of the other machines are lower or higher, heck they could be the same. The diffrient part number could just indicate a larger shaft they sit on....

If any body happens to have an old Big Bear or a Kodiac Diff gear handy, could you measure the diameter?? This would help out a lot. IF the gear has a larger diameter, that would mean it would spin more causing more torque and less speed to the tires. Kind of like when you put 4.10 gears in a truck that had 3.11... The bigger the more torque.

Now if the gear is bigger i may have to fight a smaller diff housing.... That sounds like no fun.

Before i plan on purchasing anything i need to know how big the gears for the other quads are, to make sure i would feel a differance.

Old 06-18-2003, 01:33 AM
Pro Rider

Right because you dont want to put alot of money into it and then it be a waste because it didnt make much of a difference. I am trying to think of a person that would know or someone you could call that would make it a whole lot easier. It would probably be easiest to get the parts at like an atv junkyard to save some money because those parts are going to be pretty expensive. I wonder if you called like yamaha and they could tell you. To be honest with you, it wouldnt hurt to try. Man i have came to the conlusion that just about all of them have the same gears. And I still dont know how if they are all the same numbers that I am switching mine for top speed. Even the Bog Bear 2wd gears that I am switching seem to be the same. I know that they arent so I think microfiche has led us astray or we are missing something important. Honestly I think calling Mickey would help. He deals with Wolverines, it couldnt hurt. He knows how to gear them higher and he knows alot about other parts too. Its definetly worth the time it takes to give him a call. I am getting confused about all this. Let me know if you find anything else out.