Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Old Big Bear - Weird Trouble with starting

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 12:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Big Bear - Weird Trouble with starting

We've got a 1990 Big Bear (4x4) and it has trouble getting started. The electric start on its own isn't enough but if you give it a little help with the pull-start it gets going. It runs fine once it starts. We've brought it to more than one mechanic and they can't seem pin it down. It's had a new starter and the electrical has been completely checked out, no help. The repairs are starting to get expensive and I'd normally give up on it at this point but it runs so well once it starts!

I'm not sure if this is normal or related or what, but if I push the throttle all the way down when using the electric start only, it makes a clunking sound with each crank. I tried this when I thought maybe I had flooded it (in my car, pinning the gas pedal actually shuts it off during starting). Mind you, now that I think of it that probably doesn't work for a carburetor. Go easy on me, I'm new.

Anyhow, any advice would be greatly appreciated. If I can fix this thing for my paw-in-law I may just get to keep it!

Old 05-22-2003, 08:17 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Big Bear - Weird Trouble with starting

My old 93 Kodiak would turn very slow but eventually would start. Is your battery fully charged? It almost sounds as though it not turning fast enough to get going with out help. Have you tried boosting it with the car? If so did it make the starter turn fast enough to start?

All of what I mention may have been done but I'm trying.

:-)