Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

My Engine Blew :-(

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003 | 10:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default My Engine Blew :-(

Originally posted by: Ridley
In my experience, lean motors make more HP on top, but not for long. So far in my reading, I haven't seen any rod failures from people running bigger jets. like 170/175 or bigger. I think they may be onto something there. When you jet for absolute max HP you can guarantee a lean condition every single time, you gotta back it off a little to be safe, at least with my experience. Didn't you just pay alot of money to have that thing jetted?
Ridley is absolutely correct. Bubba did they ever give you a print out of you A/F ratio from the jetting? Not that I would go by a dynojet dyno reading, just curious.

Old 05-22-2003 | 10:55 PM
|
Pro Rider

They don't have an A/F chart on their dyno just HP and torque graphs to go by.

Old 05-22-2003 | 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

I've always heard and practice going one size bigger on the mains once the jetting is spot on just to be safe also!

Old 05-22-2003 | 11:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BigBubba
They don't have an A/F chart on their dyno just HP and torque graphs to go by.
Hmm, how'd they know what to jet it at? Correctly.

Old 05-22-2003 | 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

I may have missed this earilier but did your 01 trans fail causing the gear swap? This lockup has been a common occurance with the rod failures. I'm thinking if the trans goes and the case is split just replace the rod then. You're making me sweat the 686 12:1 stage 2. Although my jetting is 195/200 presently as 185/190 left me a damned white plug.

Old 05-22-2003 | 11:06 PM
|
Pro Rider

You use the HP graph and make it as smooth as possible while getting as much HP as you can.

Mr45Auto: No, I changed the gears in preperation of having more HP so I didn't break it.

Old 05-22-2003 | 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

bubba - u gonna use a carillo rod??
Rudy

Old 05-22-2003 | 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

sorry to hear that bigbubba but i am sure you will find a way to get it running again.i was considering a cam ,valves ,and port work but i think i may just have to be content with the mods i have because rod failure sounds pretty scary.does anyone have any idea at what point horsepower wise that these rods start going or is it just a bad luck thing?i was very seriously considering a major rebuild in a couple of years along with a big jump in horsepower but after hearing so many bad luck stories i dont know.well good luck bigbubba on the rebuild hopefully we will see you on the dunes sometime soon.

Old 05-22-2003 | 11:11 PM
|
Pro Rider

rudyraptor: Yes, I am.

duneittillyoudie: You've seen me at south jetty a couple times, I was driving the blue lifted chev s-10 with fenderflares and riding the blue rappy in my gallery. I know you were parked right behind me a couple weeks ago cause sandman430 told me. Do you remember seeing me racing on the face or comp?

Old 05-22-2003 | 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

no i didnt see you but if i had i would have had a few questions for you and i sure would have liked to have had a chance to at least make a good effort against your quad.i am pretty sure i know what the outcome would be but i am always ready to give it my best.maybe when you get your raptor back together we can try a run or two just dont make me sound too bad if you mention it on here.actually i am very pleased with the performance i get with the few mods i have and just last week i finally took my air box lid off and upped my mains to 175-180 and that made a huge difference.i am having some problems with my clutch slipping so i have to sort that out although it may just be adjustment.well maybe we will get a chance to meet up sometime at florence and see just how bad you can whoop me and once again good luck on the rebuild.

Quick Reply: My Engine Blew :-(