Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

My Engine Blew :-(

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2003 | 02:08 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default My Engine Blew :-(

The rod went because there was to much stress on it (compression, torque, etc.) there is no signs of to much heat in the engine. I'm having a mechanic tear it apart and figure it out as we speak. Turns out the main axle and drive with 3 gears on it broke also because of the rod, so I gotta replace them too. I think if it were jetting I would of broke it as soon as I started riding it the next time and I didn't, in fact it ran great for almost 4 complete hard rides.

Air: Always gotta be givin the hard time dont ya? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] But I do have a right to freedom of speech and I spoke my opinions, someones gotta speak opinions of businesses or how would we hear good and bad about them? It's not illigal.

Old 05-30-2003 | 02:21 PM
Elite Pro Rider

If in fact it was lean jetting....the rod was fatigued due too excessive heat...the rod got weaker and weaker....until it finally had too yield.

Old 05-30-2003 | 02:27 PM
|
Pro Rider

At the time when it broke I was racing it pretty hard and revving out the gears pretty good, I had 4th gear revved out pretty good then when I shifted into 5th after I got it in gear it snapped.

Old 05-30-2003 | 02:42 PM
Pro Rider

Is this happening only in the big bore rappy's?
Who has lost a rod using high comp stock bore?
Are rpm's to blame...because I can't imagine how many stock raptors are running lean and don't huck rods.

Old 05-30-2003 | 02:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Mark talks Bob into working days and nights putting together an engine too run with Zombie......Bob does nothing but work on the engine and think about the engine.....finally through much blood and sweat..everything is perfect....every last ounce of power is available as well. Mark pulls in too pick the engine up....Bob looks in the truck and beside Mark is a bit set, a 1/2" Craftsman drill, and some stock Raptor jets (the huge ones are NEVER in stock) he just picked up at the nearby stealership. Bob does'nt ask what the equipment is for......he knows if he hears the wrong answer he will never be able too justify putting the time and effort into another of Marks engines. As Mark peels out in front of Bobs house...a lonely tear rolls down Bobs face.

Old 05-30-2003 | 03:22 PM
|
Pro Rider

Just to stop the controversy of my engine possibly running hot/lean I just called my mechanic and he said there was no way it was running hot and that it was pure rod failure from torque and compression and he's very good at figuring out what goes wrong with engines.

Old 05-30-2003 | 03:28 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I hate too be labeled as the "pot-stirrer", but how did your mechanic know if it was running hot or not when all he was doing was running the engine for very brief periods? Whats the plug look like? What did Bob recommend concerning jetting?

Old 05-30-2003 | 03:37 PM
Pro Rider

man bigbubba i was running 155 160 with a pipe only

Old 05-30-2003 | 03:54 PM
Pro Rider

I run 160/165 with a gytr slip on and stock filter with cut lid (ala dirtwheels 3 horsepower for $6 article).. no other mods - and she runs real good for what she is.

But I cant go as far as saying jetting caused this for sure just my experience

Old 05-30-2003 | 05:16 PM
Pro Rider

BigBubba get another mechanic FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: My Engine Blew :-(