Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Rear shock fine tuning - cant seem to nail it !? Need some expert advice.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear shock fine tuning - cant seem to nail it !? Need some expert advice.

Anybody else out there with an Elka SSD rear shock and +4 swingarm ??

Seems I'm still getting that bucking feeling (seat slapping your butt) through the deep whoops. I've read numerous articles and followed the Elka instructions but cant seem to get it where I think it ought to be considering the components involved (good shock and +4 swing arm). I've experimented by changing the compression and rebound adjustments through the full range of each and can definately make it worse but never really tame it down like I expect it should be. I assume the preload is correct because it was ordered with my weight (170 lbs) specified. I beleive I have a good understanding of the impacts of the compression and rebound adjustments but I was kinda expecting more control from this set-up.

Looking for advice from folks that have properly adjusted the Elka SSD rear shock.

Could my fronts be introducing a negative effect on the rear - maybe contributing to the problem. How about rider style ? Maybe poor form is making it difficult?

I'm very happy with the overall performance but once in the whoops I'm not sure?

Thanks, Eric

Old 05-27-2003, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider
Default Rear shock fine tuning - cant seem to nail it !? Need some expert advice.

I have the same problem, too. But mine is with a stock swingarm. With the stock shock I could set back, hit the gas and fly through the whoops. But now I get slapped in the *** and have almost gone over the bars a couple times with the Elkas in the whoops.

Anyone out there have any suggestions?

RR1

Old 05-27-2003, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider

That's interesting RR1.....I spent over an hour testing different combinations of compression and rebound through the same whoop section and just coudnt get it tamed down to where I figred a $700 shock should be [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

In addition to my weight, Elka was aware that I have the extended swing arm so that should have been considered in the valving and pre-load set-up.

What the heck !?

Old 05-28-2003, 10:51 AM
Pro Rider

Hey MOOSE - you out there ??

I know you've got a pretty big investment in Elkas - how do ya like them ?

Old 05-28-2003, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider

I've got elkas all around. and yes the rear is stiff but in the whoops its great. i felt like its was to stiff at first and really reconsidered my purchase...until i hit the track. really rutted up or aggresive whoops. i lean back...and nail it. when it starts jumping...its just telling me to hold on,drive my weight into the rear and give it more gas. and it never bottoms out.

Heres how i discovered it was my riding technique. on the practice track i go to, its a dirt sand mix, with a 100ft section of uphill whoops. I noticed the Rear shock felt best hitting this section. I had grown accustomed to keeping alot of my weight forward in order to keep the damn beast planted on all four. right before you hit the whoop section, you nail a 180 which robs alota speed. so i would need to nail it in 3rd to keep my momentum and lean back pushing all my weight into the rears to hookup. just when i think the quad is going to wheely bamn! i hit the first whoop. the up hill angle would'nt allow the rear to slam me in the ***. the shock sucked up all the whoops. know matter how many times i'd hit it. i would think "this is so violant, the next pass is gonna toss me" but it was completely controlable.

after that. i thought " i need to charge these whoops harder" so i practiced more on a flat section of whoops...until i grew a set.

My riding has become more agressive since ive been riding with Elka. i worked with Martin @ Elka to get my fronts dialed in. call them...they give great service. if you don't take advantage of that...its your loss. they sent me diffrent spring set-ups for my fronts till i got it nailed down. i just sent back what i didn't use.

Old 05-28-2003, 04:09 PM
Pro Rider

Ridley,

Do ya think it would be worth messing with the pre-load. Would that "simulate" putting in a different spring ? Seems like it might be worth a try ?

Old 05-29-2003, 11:10 AM
Pro Rider

This just in from Elka: Their response to my tuning question

The first thing you want to do is make sure your quad is leveled on the ground when you are sitting on it, frame clearance should be between 7 1/2 inch to 9 inch for MX and 8 1/2 to 10 inch (measurments are taking at the front close to the motor mount and behind the foot pegs).

For the rear adjustment, soften up the compression and fasten the rebound, this will make the shaft come out faster and the wheels will follow the curve of the terrain.

To get a softer main spring you would be looking at around $50.00US, could you check on the spring you have and see if their's a color stripe, this will tell us the rate of the spring you have right now.

Give me a call if their's anything else.

Regards,

Yann Guilbeault
Elka Suspension inc.
1-800-557-0552
Ride Hard, Ride Fast, Ride Elka

Sounds like my logic concerning the rebound is incorrect ! Also, I never considered to check to see if the bike is level......good info - I'll test again soon and let ya know.

Old 05-29-2003, 02:25 PM
Pro Rider

Ridley,

10-4, I'm gonna do some more testing based on Elka's info but I hear ya !! They are gonna "confirm" that I have the right spring but we'll see.......Thanks for the info on the SSD /spring adjustment - I didnt know that.

Eric