Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

thoughts on a used warrior

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 12:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thoughts on a used warrior

I am debating picking up a used warrior. Are these pretty decent on power? I'd love to have a banshee but would like something I can use for all around use. What kind of service needs to be done on these? Is there anything to be watchful when checking these out? What is the stock compression? I know they are an older design but do these hold up well?

Thanks

Old 05-27-2003, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider

hotrodd,

I own an 87 Warrior, and it runs like a tank! It is pretty fast for being so old and not having any aftermarket components. Sure, it's not as fast as a Banshee or Raptor, but but she still hauls a$$! I'm not sure what year you're looking at, but they havn't changed a whole lot, other than the light location and a few other things. I'm not sure about the compression, but haynes does make a service manual for it. I have also noticed that you can get just about anything aftermarket for Warriors. One thing you may look at is the A-arms, I don't know if you're going to jump it, but I heard that they bend on hard landings. Good luck, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Old 05-27-2003, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

I bought a 2001 two days ago and I love it. I actually didn't expect it to be as fast as it is with everyone ******* them all the time. And about finding a used one, you just have to go look at a bunch of them. Mine belonged to a woman who only rode it seven times and got tired of it and her husband was an absolute fanatic about keeping it clean. It only has about 40 hours on it and I got it for $3,050. They hold up to just about anything you can throw at them [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Hope you find one!

Old 05-27-2003, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

Hey man get the Warrior. Dont listen to people about sayin the Warrior is junk. Mine hauls a$$. Stock compression is 9.2:1 on Warriors. They have a TON of usable power. I've got an FMF Mega Max II on it it's a nice pipe. Even though White Bros are the best. 20" Hole shots will make it slide 10x's better than those balloons. and if you want even more get the Alba Cam and Spring Kit. Thats just my .02 cents.

Old 05-27-2003, 01:30 PM
Pro Rider

Aside from the obvious stuff chain & sprockets, bearings etc... Take a look at the chain adjustment screws and the brackets they screw into. People typically don't take care of them and they strip out. Also the A-Arm bushings wear out quickly (imo) check them their a pain to replace and not cheap either.

A great machine they were the fastest 4-stroke in their day.

Old 05-27-2003, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider

Mine is all stock except for Renthal bars and handguards and it is very fast. It runs dead even with my brother's Scrambler. Just because there are fastER quads out there these days, doesn't mean that the old durable design isn't fast. Go with the Warrior for sure, but don't buy the first one you go to check out just because you're anxious to ride (I did, but that's different). You might be a little slower than the newer quads, but you'll pass right by the Z's and KFX's when their frame cracks. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-27-2003, 02:59 PM

They are a very solid machine. As long as it runs and drives normal, it is usually a bulletproof machine,

Patrick