Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

how hard is it to jet a raptor??

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how hard is it to jet a raptor??

as some of you may know, i dropped my raptor off at the stealership last friday. They orderd the yoshi pipe and said it would be in by monday. I dropped it off with the fenders off, and told them to install the pipe, jet it properly, and check the valves. After my last visit there, i said, "it shouldnt be a problem for next saturday right." and they were like no, saturday is fine.

Well, i just called them today and the guy was like no we havent gotten around to it yet theres one bike before yours that has to be jetted and were runnin low on manpower. So i ask if theyll have it for late tomorow (closed sunday) and he was like ill try but i cant guarantee anything.

So my question to you is: should i get pissed off and call the guy in the parts department(nice guy) and complain that im gettin screwed around.. or is this something that i should understand and is normal and typical for service shops? sunday is the only nice day for a while and i was really lookin forward to riding. If they cant have it done for tomorow, should i leave it and let them get to it for next weekend, or should i just pick up my pipe and try jetting myself.

I never messed with any carb and dont know much about them. I dont want to mess anything up. I have the service manual but havent gotten a chance to look at it. Is it difficult? what do you think i should do? I told them to jet it, does that mean they put a jet kit on? whats the difference between gettin jets and a jet kit? i dont understand? btw, everything is stock...stock airfilter and i got a yoshi slip on.

so what should i do, im really in need of some advice and some consolation cause im really angry/depressed right now. thanks/warrior86

Old 06-06-2003, 01:10 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Thats the same service you will get at any shop. The flunkies working on your bike don't care if they do anything or not.....and are being paid lowsy. Bottom line, if you have any mechanical ability...you need too learn too work on your bike. Since we have many posts detailing the exact process of jetting the Raptor...I will let you search for it (but if you have no luck, I will post).

Old 06-06-2003, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider

I have gotten screwed more than once trusting them,and they still did it wrong! i asked 5 diffrent shops the same question and i got 5 diffrent answer..that's funny that;s why i asked for help and now i am learning more than expected,

learn to work on your bike,you will save enough money to send yourself to mechanic school..lol

Old 06-06-2003, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider

thanks. I wasnt really askin how to jet a raptor but more like if its really difficult. I have ability and i have the manual. Im 17 and just learned to adjust my valves last weekend.

Yeah that damn stealership..i bring it in to get the first break in checkup and last week when i changed the oil i coulda killed em. Those fockers tightened teh oil drained bolts so much youd think it was welded on. I buy myself a torque wrench and take all this care to not damage my parts just to get it all wiped out in just one time...it only takes once. Luckily they didnt strip, i just cut my hand open. If that damn oil tank leaks ill be sure to have them pay for it or itll be broken store front windows for them. lol

if i do have to jet myself, can anyone tell me what im going to need to purchase to get it running properly? like i said, everything is stock, and its a yoshi slip on. Can i buy the jets individually? do i need any special tools? approx how much time does it take? (granted ill be longer than average)

thanks

Old 06-06-2003, 03:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

if i do have to jet myself, can anyone tell me what im going to need to purchase to get it running properly? like i said, everything is stock, and its a yoshi slip on. Can i buy the jets individually? do i need any special tools? approx how much time does it take? (granted ill be longer than average)
All you will need are jets.
Yes you can buy them seperate.
It can take from an hour to a day, just depends on how right you want it and some luck.
Its not a hard job at all, but it can be time consuming.
If you don't get a jet kit make sure you get a large enough selection of jets.
Since you have never done it before I think a jet kit would be helpfull, but not nessacary.

Old 06-06-2003, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider

I've got a Banshee and learned how to jet mine last month. After having my beast for nearly 5 years I broke down and decided to teach myself how to work on it. Anyway, patience is the key! Once you get past the initial learn curve it's easy. Go for it man...... all you're doing is saving yourself money in the long run.

Old 06-06-2003, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider

ok thanks for all the responses. Does anyone happen to know what jets i will probably need, or atleast have some idea? thanks

Old 06-06-2003, 07:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I would buy up to a 155. If you ct the flaps out of the snorkel and run the stock filter you will probably just need to go up one size in each carb. Thats just a guess, but probably close.

Old 06-06-2003, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider

The pipes you buy should come with directions that will give you a good starting point. REMEMBER! It will run like hell lean but it won't run like that for long. It's always safer to be a little rich.

Old 06-06-2003, 07:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Yoshi directions use to have the wrong reccomendations for the idle mixture screws.

Quick Reply: how hard is it to jet a raptor??