Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

raptor water pump leaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 04:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raptor water pump leaking

i have an 02 rap and it started leaking from the weephole in the pump. is this a common problem for the raptor? what are some other little problems i should keep an eye out for?
thanks
dave

Old 06-10-2003, 05:16 PM
Range Rover

I had the same leak on my 02 Raptor. It was fixed under warranty and all they did was change the seal. They said they had alot come in with the same problem due to a batch of faulty seals from factory.

Old 06-10-2003, 08:25 PM
Pro Rider

Throttlejunkie how much was yours leaking? Mine leaks about 5 or 6 drops a ride. I dont no if i should take it in to have it looked at or not. It is coming from the weep hole but i figured it would leak more than 5 or 6 drops if it was bad.

Old 06-10-2003, 08:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Mine leaked for a day, just a few drops then it stopped and never had a leak since and that was about a year ago. I even purchased a new one just in case I was out on a ride but never got to install it. It was only 35.00 from my local dealer, I think that is the most inexpensive part I ever bought for the Raptor.

Old 06-10-2003, 09:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

I NEVER SAW A LEAK WHILE I WAS RIDING. I HAVE BEEN RIDING MY DIRTBIKE MORE OFTEN LATELY AND THE RAPTOR HAS JUST BEEN SITTING AND THATS WHEN I NOTICED THE SPOT ON THE FLOOR. IT SEEMS TO BE JUST A COUPLE OF DROPS A DAY. THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO MY DRZ400. IT ONLY HAD ABOUT 100 MILES ON IT AND IT STARTED TO DRIP TOO. I THINK I MAY HAVE TO GO BACK TO AIR COOLED=-)
DAVE

Old 06-12-2003, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider

Interesting subject!

I have two 2003 Raptors and after a weekend of riding, there are a few dried white spots on the frame just below the weephole on both.

Is this normal?

Old 06-12-2003, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

You guys that are seeing some problems are banking on borrowed time. The Raptor water pump is fairly cheep to fix. If you let it go you could get stranded. I keep a spare in the trailer.

Old 06-13-2003, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider

If memory serves me correctly, there is a plate that has three or four bolts on it.

Do I remove this to get at the water pump to enusre it is installed tightly?

Or, will all of the coolant come out if I remove this plate?

I am thinking maybe just the water pump needs to be tightened up to seal a little better.

Info how to do this would be greatly appreciated!

Old 06-13-2003, 03:11 PM
RIP Dear Friend

Mine has done this since day one. I too have a few dried white spots on the frame after riding and my raptor is over 2 years old now. I have never added coolant.

Purchase an extra pump if you are concerned about it but there is the big O/ring seal you should purchase to if you are going to replace.

Total cost if memory serves me correct is about 40 bucks.

Chet

Old 03-15-2004, 12:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

My buddy's started leaking this weekend. Weird thing is it wouldn't weep when we were sitting there and the engine was running but, as soon as he shut off the engine it dripped. Stopped after a while.

We are all (about 6 of my riding buds) getting together weekend after next, to check valve clearances, clutches, and fix his water pump.

I just replaced mine on the DS. Does anyone have any good step by step on this. If not and I take pictures along the way, will someone be able to post the instructions??? (Hint: Raptortranny. . . ???)

Also, the reason that weep hole is there is to let you know there is a problem. That means fix it!!! If the oil side seal goes you will get coolant/water in your oil. I didn't notice my issue until I had milky oil. It took a couple oil changes to clean it up!

Quick Reply: raptor water pump leaking