Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What kind of grease for Raptor zerks?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of grease for Raptor zerks?

What kind of grease do you use? Is there any kind that I should stay away from? Thanks.

Old 06-11-2003, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider

Also what is the best to keep the chain lubed? Go easy one me guys this is my first sport quad.

Old 06-11-2003, 10:26 PM
Pro Rider

You need to use a lithium soap based grease for the zerks. Be careful filling up the lubrication joints, too much grease and you will blow the seal and have black globs of grease to collect dirt and everything else. Regarding chain lube, I have tried a bunch of chain lubes and I like
Honda HP Chain lube the best. It goes on and dries quickly and doesnt collect a bunch of dirt or sand like others. Recently I tried a spray on chain lube from Belray that sprays on and sticks like a wax. Didnt collect much in the way of dirt so that is a good option too. Still, I prefer the Honda lube, it is cleanest and protects the chain well.

Old 06-11-2003, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

So 2 or 3 squirts will be enough?

Old 06-12-2003, 02:27 AM
Trailblazer

Yep, I agree with turtler. The Honda HP is hard to beat. Everything stays clean. Maxima Chain wax is ok too.

There is a lithium soap base grease that's Red in color. I'm not sure of the brand but I found it at Wallys. Excess grease seems to clean up easier than others. Keep it wiped up if it does ooze out.

Old 06-12-2003, 07:37 AM
Pro Rider

use the honda lube! just jack up the back and roll the rears tires as you spray the chain. or push the quad across the yard and spray it while the neighbors take pics and call the cops...remember to wear pants, eh? hehe

stay away from pj1 that was the nastiest shiest i have ever seen. i had to take it off the chain with a brush! what a mess! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 06-12-2003, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the cleaner look of the red grease, which doesn't look like it's a hundred years old when it's new like the black grease does... Just a looks thing... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Turns out the red grease is generally better anyway.

Anyway, I figured a 14 oz tube would last me about 20 years, so I bought a nice 14 oz grease gun that takes bulk loading, and bought a can of red wheel bearing grease. Then I bulk load about as much grease as I can use in a season, and still have about a half can left over for packing bearings if need be.

So I have a question for the ol' timers here... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

How much grease to put in? I found that two full squirts usually causes grease to start oozing out of the seals, so I backed myself back down to about one and a half... Does it actually hurt the seal to have grease ooze out? Seems to me that as long as the joint is moving, it's okay to have grease come out, but if any damage is to be done, it will be when the joint is static... But maybe it's good to have some grease come out to push any bad-nasties out?

Old 06-13-2003, 01:43 AM
Pro Rider

yeah try to go easy, you dont want to push the seal out, plus if you have grease hangin around there, itll collect dirt and that might hurt the seals.

Old 06-13-2003, 01:53 AM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: raptor8
use the honda lube! just jack up the back and roll the rears tires as you spray the chain. or push the quad across the yard and spray it while the neighbors take pics and call the cops...remember to wear pants, eh? hehe

I busted out LMFAO when you said that!!!!!!!! That was so huge!!! Meaning cool if you get nervous.....LOL

Old 06-15-2003, 11:53 AM
Pro Rider

Would WD40 be ok for my chain temporarily? I dont have anythiing else at the moment and I really got it muddy and wet yesterday

Quick Reply: What kind of grease for Raptor zerks?