Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Need Raptor help ASAP- Loud Starter/Engine Noise!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Raptor help ASAP- Loud Starter/Engine Noise!!

Everytime I start my Raptor it makes a loud banging or clanking noise the first couple times the starter turns over the engine. Once it is running there is no abnormal noise. It runs great, until I shut it down and start it again. Is this a sign of 1-way bearing failure? I need info ASAP because if I don't figure it out tonight I am taking it to the dearler tomorrow. Here is some more history -

1) Makes the noise whether I start in gear or in neutral
2) Does not make the noise if I give it some gas and it starts on the first stroke.
3) Started it this way (with the noise) 5 - 10 times, then changed the oil today. No metal flakes on my magnetic drain plug.

Please help, any info/input will be appreciated. I need to get this fixed within 8 days so I can make my date with the dyno before my holiday at the dunes. Thanks !!

RR1

Old 06-15-2003, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

Mine did that too so I replaced the starter and now it still does it sometimes[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 06-15-2003, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

Mine does the same thing, I'm guessing it's the one way but I don't know for sure.
When L&A Designs comes out with their new design one way I'm probabally gonna get theirs to see how it works.
I don't know how bad mine is but it has about the same symptoms as mine.

Old 06-15-2003, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

It's definately the starter clutch. Does it go clunl-clunk-clunk-vroooommm (just try to imagine the sound). I just replaced mine, and it doesn't do it anymore. It's so nice to hear VRROOM! and no clunking.

Oh, by the way, replace it NOW! I waited a little too long, and there was pieces in my engine. That's why there is nothing stuck to your drain plug, the bearing is on the back of the flywheel, so any pieces would stick to the flywheel (cause it's magnetic) there was pieces stuck to mine.

Old 06-15-2003, 11:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

My brothers and cousins Raptors both did the same thing. The starter clutch is shot. Once they replaced them it works fine.

Old 06-15-2003, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

Great. I may already have this problem and I just got the damn thing.

Old 06-16-2003, 12:42 AM
Trailblazer

just a note, I work on car tranny's for a living, and the one-way clutch design, is used in tranny's too. Replace it asap, less damage.

Trending Topics

Old 06-16-2003, 01:24 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks everyone, I don't have the tools, time or know-how do fix it myself, so I will take it to the Yami dealer tomorrow. At least I can go in there telling them what's wrong instead of them standing there scratching their heads and butts saying, "Golly, I don't know what that problem is, mister. Give us 4 days to take it apart and then we will tell you what we need to order to fix it". Then it takes a week to get the part, then another couple days to put it together.

Now I can tell them what the problem probably is, and have them order the parts to fix it tomorrow. BTW, does anyone know the most common parts that need to be replaced to fix this problem? Gaskets, o-rings, seals, the starter clutch? Anything else I should have them order?

Thanks again, but keep any new ideas flowing just incase I am missing something!

RR1

Old 06-16-2003, 09:31 AM
Trailblazer

If you saw someone replace that one-way clutch, you'd say, "damn I could have done that". I did it on my r-1 motor, in about 20 minutes.

Old 06-16-2003, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

dude, you can do it, it's easy. take off the magneto cover. it's just a bunch of 8mm bolts, take off the flywheel nut (19mm I think) go to Autozone and rent a flywheel puller, pull the flywheel, get a 5mm allen wrench and take off the 6 allen bolts on the back of the flywheel. Voila! you have your starter clutch off, now put on the new one, slide the flywheel back on, tighten the nut with an impact, put on a new gasket, and your done!

Quick Reply: Need Raptor help ASAP- Loud Starter/Engine Noise!!