Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Tricks on how to keep the grips On!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tricks on how to keep the grips On!!!!!!

I have a problem with the grips coming loose. I heard to tie some thin metal wire in the inside of the grip,well that work?

Any ideas or anything that works for you..

Old 06-16-2003, 11:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Renthal grip glue works for me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] The scotts glue is junk. The wire tie thing I've only seen on my nephews yz250. It seemed to work for him but seems like a possiblity of working through the grip and or eating up your gloves. Don't ride so ***** out and you won't be gripping so hard. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-16-2003, 11:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Sam - back in my BMX days we used hair spray, just a little in the grip and a little on the bar and wait about a minute or to and push it on, it helps it slide on and wait about a good day and it is stuck on for good. I had to cut my others off just to get them off. I just got some old school handle bar grips from the 80's off ebay. Scott and I were talking about these grips about a year ago and I finally found some on eBay and bought'em!! They are Oakley 3 grips and they have grooves for your fingers and are way cool feeling. I havent road with them yet but I cant wait. Next time we will hook up at Pismo and you can check it out.

later.

Old 06-16-2003, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

i also use hairspray for my grips and it works really well i do this everytime i buy new grips, and then to be sure i put safty wire on them to. I also learned this from when i rode bmx.

Old 06-17-2003, 06:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I had this discussion today with a buddy of mine who BUSTED his rear on his bike because of a loose grip.
GAS!!! That is the hot ticket!!! If your bars aren't knurrled, his were not, take some 100 grit sand paper and scuff them up real well, and clean it with gas, carb cleaner, starting fluid, whatever. Now fill your grip up with regular old gas and let it sit for about .................................................t hat long, say 10 seconds. Pour the gas out of the grip (I noramlly pour it onto the ar but I don't know if it matters) and put it on with a half twist. Now the tricky part, let it sit for an hour and a half or so. Try and turn it just a touch, if it still turns wait longer. It will harden up and WILL NOT SLIP!!! If it does I'll send you a refund. LOL

Old 06-17-2003, 09:10 AM
jmc
Trailblazer

Get some ODI grips from White Bros. They have small billet clamps at each end of the grip and once locked on these babies will not twist or come loose and you can remove them.

Old 06-17-2003, 10:50 AM
Trailblazer

The thin wire is "safety wire" and it goes on the outside. Wrap it around the grip in 3 to 4 places using safety-wire pliers to twist it between wraps. If you wire your grips you don't need glue. I've had good luck with Scott Grip Glue. I let it set over night.

Old 06-17-2003, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

Sam- I have always used hairspray. works great and it's the cheapest. plus it will make that baby side right on.

Old 06-17-2003, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider

Another vote for HairSpray... As crazy as it sounds, it's worked for me for years!

Old 06-17-2003, 01:12 PM
YZF
Trailblazer

spray paint works to.........

Quick Reply: Tricks on how to keep the grips On!!!!!!