Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2001 Raptor Tranny's NOT broken???

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003 | 08:11 AM
|
Trailblazer
Default 2001 Raptor Tranny's NOT broken???

I was just wondering how many guys and gals one here have 2001 Raptors that DON'T have tranny problems? I ask because we always hear about someones tranny giving out, but I've never seen it for myself. I ride mine really hard to, and it hasnt giving me a lick of trouble. Friend of mine has his modded pretty good to, and he's never had probs either. We play around on a local Mx practice track most of the time, with some trailriding thrown in. It just seems weird that I've never personally seen this happen? Not that I'm saying it never has to ANYONE, just that alot of the posts seen are from poeple saying "my friend's cousin's brother-in-law's mother's uncle's buddie's boss's son's tranny blew the other day". BTW these kind of posts are usually replies to people with real problems.

Old 06-20-2003 | 08:47 AM
Trailblazer

Mines still together-knock on wood!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-20-2003 | 09:10 AM
Pro Rider

Mine never gave up. However it is currently being upgraded to 2002 specs, while my 727 is being built, just to be safe.

Old 06-20-2003 | 11:41 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RAPTORAZ
Mine never gave up. However it is currently being upgraded to 2002 specs, while my 727 is being built, just to be safe.
Good thinking. I know I wouldnt want my tranny locking up and spitting me over the bars at 90mph.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-20-2003 | 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

Still thumping...i've modded everything but the internals. i ride track and trail. and i don't baby it.

However...i never use reverse...ever. i'll hop off it and muscle it around, before i will engage reverse. i read a post back in 01 regarding suspicion around reverse causing the tranny failure. sounded like a good explanation...so i don't use it. and i won't. don't care if it's been proven safe...this has worked for me so far and i sticken with it.

anyways...everyone knows its the white raptors with all the problems [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-20-2003 | 01:00 PM
Trailblazer

Mine is still going strong. Of course it is a bone stock 2001, not ridden much in the last year due to the fact that I tore my A.C.L. I have been taking it kinda easy scince I just had surgery a couple months ago. I also don't ride it more than a couple of times a winter usually.

I do however use reverse on a regular basis. Here's to knocking on wood keeping fingers, toes and everyting else I can think of crossed. I also won't be buying a first year 450 I can garuntee you that.

Old 06-20-2003 | 01:01 PM
Pro Rider

My 2001 Rappy is still holding together. Not a million hours on it, but it's all sand dune time with paddle tires. It's stock except K&N, airbox mods, jetting and gears. A buddy of mine bought a 2001 right when they came out, it's got pipe-jetting-airbox and he rides sand with paddles, he's put lots of time on it with no tranny problems. Hey Wes660, your thing says stock Banshee axle which is +2". Does that go right on?

Old 06-20-2003 | 01:07 PM
Pro Rider

My tranny is still going strong (knock on wood). My rappy is not babied, but is takin care of. It shows signs of use- beat up back plastic, bent bars, slipping clutch, Bent steering stem, front brakes are getting soft. I bought it used, and modded it myself, its proven itself to be a relable bike. Just my one ways going.

Old 06-20-2003 | 01:50 PM
Pro Rider

Still going. Knock Knock Knock, that was just me hitting something wooden!

Very rarely use reverse. Always wait for the motor to idle if I do and never ever jam it back and forth. Also always start in nuetral, still on my first one way!

Nocando

Old 06-20-2003 | 02:19 PM
Range Rover

i have a fully modded 01 raptor and i havent had any problems with the trany....however, i had curtis put the samcoe gears in it before the trany blew.....i looked at the 2nd and 3rd gears when i got my motor back and i could tell that the shift dogs where showing signs of failure.....but i totally know when it happens......if you miss a shift and slam it back into gear.....crunch is what you are going to get...................i havent had any problems with mine......but i make damn sure i make all my shifts and i rarely use reverse.......

herbdon..........

Quick Reply: 2001 Raptor Tranny's NOT broken???