Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Another 01 Raptor 2nd Gear bits the Dust.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 11:15 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another 01 Raptor 2nd Gear bits the Dust.

Looking for advice. Yesterday at the dunes, I lost my second gear on my 01 Raptor. Thankfully is didn't lock up like everyone else. SO I was able to keep riding. I had it out at the dunes 2 weeks ago and did not have any problems at all. Before I left for the weekend I had a full service done on the quad by the dealer. As soon as I got it unloaded on Saturday I had a heisting and grinding coming out of what felt some where around the rear sprocket. Thought at first it may be my chain going bad. But later discovered it was only happening in 2nd gear. Kept riding as it kept getting worse and finally on sunday second gear does not work anymore at all. I think all the teeth on the gear broke off. Thankfully the bike is still under warranty and should only require about 50.00 of out of pocket expense. Is there anything the dealer could have screwed up to cause this during the full service anyone can think of? I am also going to try and get the dealer to put 02 gears in there. But any other advice or comments anyone has would be helpful.

Old 06-23-2003, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider

ya really emphisize that you need 02 gears and sorry to hear about your luck.

Old 06-23-2003, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

Not really anything they could have done to cause it (besides ride it around the dealership beatin the **** out of it). Checking the oil and checking valves and stuff wont cause it

Good luck getting it covered on the extended warranty. Like Blasterdevil says, make em put 2002 gears in it.

Old 06-23-2003, 11:40 PM
Trailblazer

Thankfully my Extended Warrenty is not a yamaha Extended warrenty. It is a 3rd party and they have been pretty good about everything so far. I had to have my start clutch replaced back last spring and it was really easy. So hopefully everything will be good about this one too.

Old 06-23-2003, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

Unfortunately, many of the stealerships will only be obligated to fix what is broken (under warranty) and they'll likely just fix 2nd gear and any other collateral damage. Then - you are stuck with the same weak components as before which are destined to fail again. Getting a complete 02 conversion under warranty is a long-shot at best. Unless your dealership has really good customer service, prepare yourself for an arguement.

If they do not satisfy you - FUC&%K EM - and go to raptortranny.com and fix it yourself. It's worth the effort and Mike has put together a superb guide for the do-it-yourselfer.

Old 06-24-2003, 12:01 AM
Trailblazer

Well I am on a first name basis with the service manager so hopefully that will help. So I am going to lean on him hard to help me out.

Old 06-24-2003, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider

That's good. I get along fairly good with my shop - bought 3 brand new quads from them over the past years......Their service dept is lacking talent but that's a whole different rant. They agreed to pay for the labor to repair the broken parts even though I didnt even have an extended warranty and the 90 days was way over, but only for 01 parts. Not really a bad deal but I opted to go with a 2002 conversion and do it myself for the reliabilty.

It sure would be nice to hear a success story concerning the tranny problem ! Keep us posted.

Old 06-24-2003, 03:11 AM
Trailblazer

Going to make a appointment tomorrow... Last appointment I made was a week and a half out. So this one could be just as far. Will let you guys know the end result.

Might add the link from our pictures this weekend too http://12.224.97.170/web/Winchester%...20June%202003/ Weather was outstanding.
-David

Old 06-24-2003, 08:23 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Sorry too hear of the bad luck Dave. Hopefully all will go well. If you wind up with the faster 01 gears, unhook reverse and don't worry about it. Run a search under my user name for a detailed explanation on the "unhook reverse" issue. Welcome too the forums bro! You will find some knowledgible Raptor guys around here.

Old 06-24-2003, 06:15 PM
Trailblazer

Well I got a appointment for the 22nd of July with the dealer... It really kinda sucks... I am in the process of trying to find another dealer that will accept my 3rd party warrenty.

Quick Reply: Another 01 Raptor 2nd Gear bits the Dust.