Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Why does everyone knock the Warrior?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 05:53 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why does everyone knock the Warrior?

I always read in these forrums about how bad warriors are. Warriors are not bad at all! I have one and i beat piped 300's all the time.The 300 is not close to the warrior I'm not knocking the 300 b cuz i had one but people always knock the warrior and i am sick of it

Old 06-24-2003, 07:14 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

I don't know why they do either.

In the 4-plus months that I have had mine (2003) it has never let me down. I managed to get up or through about anything I tried (now granted I know I haven't pushed it, but I'm not a little guy). In an informal drag back to camp I was only left behind by a hopped up 300ex (on race fuel, DG Pipe, K&N w/outerwears) and a Blaster with some serious work done. I was surprised that I passed another 300ex with about a 110lb rider (very petite female rider). I'm thinking they were out of gears and I was able to get up into 6th...or they let off. A 250ex brought up the rear.

Most of the negative commentators seem to point to the Warriors age. And I will grant them that it is of an older design. But it works well for most people. I don't really know if has a direct competition. I guess the 300ex.

I wonder if Yamaha could update the Warrior chassis and possibly going to a 400cc powerplant, but not encroach on either the YFZ450 (purely a MX bike) or the Raptor. Just make something with more power for the trails, but for someone not wanting as much as a Raptor. This was my first quad and I didn't feel comfortable with something as powerful as a Raptor. With the more likely than not demise of the 2-strokes in 2006 I think Yamaha would be looking to make some shifts in the lineup.

The positive commentators nearly always point to the near bullet-proof of the quad.

The only thing I would drastically change with mine would be a heavier duty spring/shock for the rear to increase the travel while I'm on it.

Other changes or mods for me: some real tires for the back (everyone agrees that nearly all stock tires suck), TrailTech Speedo, and probably the trailtech lights w/ bar clamp (I flipped my quad and the lights now shine slightly to the right and I'm always having to adjust them down - the upper lighting mounting frame is bent and resists bending back to a normal position). I'm not into loud bikes so a pipe would be of no use to me at all.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 06-24-2003, 07:15 PM
Pro Rider

people knock on warriors because yamaha is capable of making a new and improved 350 motor and makeing it a lot lighter.

Old 06-24-2003, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider

I think it MIGHT be that all these people that point out the Warrior's age can't believe that it can be so old and still hold its own so well against the newer models. lol.

Old 06-24-2003, 07:28 PM
Range Rover

I have owned a warrior and a couple of 300ex's and I would definately have to give the nod to the 300. My warrior was definately faster than the 300 but I could go faster on my 300 , If that makes any sense. Its just that the 300 was lighter and more comfortable, and I felt the warrior was a little awkward. But this is just my opinion and im sure different people feel better on different bikes. As far as the knocking goes, it just seems that people always want to make it seem like they have the best bike made or maybe your bike isnt as good as mine, something like that. If you are happy with your bike, dont let all the haters get to ya.

Old 06-24-2003, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

they have to trip on the warrior because in the struggle to stay at the top of the food chain they usually arent winning so it makes them feel better to make fun of people below them, even if they are there by choice.

Old 06-24-2003, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider

i love my warrior, expecially their wheelie ability. I dont care if people talk smack but ive smoked a 400ex. and about their age who cares look at the banshees just as old and perhaps one of the best 2 strokes and infamous drag racer.

Travis

Old 06-24-2003, 07:59 PM
KGB
Pro Rider

Yeah and I beat a Raptor on my 185 three wheeler
The Warrior is not a bad quad. I am not knocking it. I owned one for a while, handed it down to my woman and it wasn't fast enought for her. We ride dunes. Different story if we were trail riders. They are rock solid reliable. But the trannys always slip out of gear.
But on here you have people who are really serious and passionate about going really fast. And that is not what a Warrior does.

Old 06-24-2003, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider

Im not too sure about the warriors wheelie ability.... my buddie has an 01 Warrior and I couldnt get it to wheelie for jack!!!

(not enough traction, or too much weight in the front)

Old 06-24-2003, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider

I don't get why people talk down a Warrior either. I think they're great machine. Who cares if there old. They have potential. If everything else is so much better than a Warrior how come people put 727 Kits in Raptors?

Quick Reply: Why does everyone knock the Warrior?