Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Why would my Raptor eat paddles so fast?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why would my Raptor eat paddles so fast?

I have a set of one year old 20-10-10 edges on .160s that I have had since I bought the Rappy. My question is, every time I come back from the dunes, another one of the paddles has had the back part of the paddle ripped off? I run them at 4-5 psi, should I decrease this? They are also 8 paddle. I do not run them hard at all on pavement or dirt, just idle to the dunes from the campsite. My friend had 10 paddle edges on his ported/piped banshee and dumps the clutch on sharp gravel (He also has haulers, dumb b@stard) and his have not torn at all! I do drag race quite a bit, so I guess it could be that, but for "top of the line" v-paddles, they have not held up for sh*t. Is it the torque? I don't get it, so I think I am going to get a set of 21-12-8 8 paddle eXtreme Haulers.

Thanks for any and all information.

Street

Old 07-01-2003, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider

The same reason a Hemi Cuda needs tires on the back......lol just playin dude. I really dont know that much about paddle tires or I'd tell ya. That is weird though how your friends paddles hold up that well. I think its all the 4-stroke power.

Old 07-01-2003, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider

A Hemi `Cuda has so much ***** itll roast any tire. So a Raptors like it but in smaller form. Also like My `Cuda [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-01-2003, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider

Defective tires?? I've never heard of this, I know people w/ 5 year old paddles on their 2 year old Raptors and nothing.

Old 07-01-2003, 09:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5 psi seems like enough but maybe you need to run them a little higher. If you like V-paddles try the sand skate lls mine are holding up great, good all around tire.

Old 07-01-2003, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

The only time I have torn up paddles is running over hard pack or asphalt. You have to take it easy on the hard stuff. Also, if you are a big guy like me the extra weight will hurt them, the answer is the extreme paddle. I run them on both my banshees now and they are holding up great. One pair is about a year old with no signs of wear. The other pair only has two dune trips on them, and so they look new.

Bat

Old 07-01-2003, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider

Oh, and don't store your bike with paddles on, and if you do make sure your back end is raised so your rear tires are off the ground.....doubt this is the reason your tires have not lasted....but maybe?

Old 07-01-2003, 09:52 PM
Range Rover

I'd have to give the nod for v-paddles to the Sand Skate II also. I ran a set on my raptor for a year (and I ride alot) and they were in great shape when I sold them. I have 20x10x10 9 paddle Hauler Extremes now because I wanted to go with a little more aggressive tire. They're 4 months old or so and holding up great so far.

Edited to add this link about a tire shootout I remembered seeing awhile back.

Paddle Battle

Old 07-02-2003, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider

well, I just use GBC sand devils. They are cheap, and get the job done. They dont have glued on paddles either, they have molded on ones. Ive also dumped it on pavement, and gravel while coming from camp to dunes, and no problems at all. The paddles are like 38 a piece too from Dennis Kirk, so its a cheap way to dune. The cheap ones are 8 paddle, and u can get 10 paddle for like 5 bucks more.

Just IMO
-Nick

Old 07-02-2003, 12:51 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, the sand devils are pretty durable....and your right they do get the job done. I know quite a few people w/ them and they like them.

Quick Reply: Why would my Raptor eat paddles so fast?