Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Gave up and ordered FCRs, have a few ??s

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gave up and ordered FCRs, have a few ??s

I am so fokkin tired of the stock carbs, I don't think they are meant to feed a built Raptor on race fuel. Just when I think things are right, the needle valve quits sealing and I get major bog off idle. If I raise the floats to put a little more pressure on the needle, the bowls will run dry after a hard run. No middle ground, either too little or too much fuel. Not only is this incredibly annoying, it's downright dangerous when hitting jumps. That bog off-idle makes major changes to the quad's launch and I've come close to landing on the front bumper once too often.
I ordered a set of FCRs from Sparks, $799 in stock and already tweaked for a thumb throttle. Anyone run FCRs with a Yoshi exhaust? The Sparks salesman said I may have a little interference and might have to shim the exhaust mount for added clearance. Any issues with frame clearance for the throttle housing? I'm running VP C12, JE 12:1, Craycraft P&P, UPP carb boots, factory airbox with adapter plate and K&N, and full Yoshi comp. I haven't had a good ride in a while so any help getting the FCRs set up quickly is greatly appreciated.

Old 07-01-2003, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider

I have a yoshi ti system with fcr's.... You WILL NEED a custom intake to move the carbs to the left so they will fit. I have the trinity billet intake and I like it. There is like a 1/4 inch clearance with the intake. You will be very happy with the fcr's. I can get you a better deal on them if you didnt already get it. It comes with everything you need for the thumb throttle. I have heard of a couple of people ordering from sparks and they said they were in stock and they got their carbs a few weeks later. So take that with a grain of salt.

Old 07-01-2003, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks AJ, I'll call them back tomorrow and if they haven't shipped (as promised), I'll cancel the order and give you a ring. I don't see a custom intake on Trinity or Sparks web site and I just bought UPP boots so I'm going to try to move the exhaust first and if that doesn't work, try something else:-)

How about setting them up for a built 686, any tips or tricks to save me some time? TIA!

Old 07-02-2003, 12:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

Old 07-02-2003, 12:53 AM
Range Rover

just put my fcrs from sparks on last week. ran perfect. i have alba exhaust which doesnt work with those carbs so i used spacers and moved them back about 2 inches. just barely touches now. and they are worth every dime.

Old 07-02-2003, 02:48 AM
Pro Rider

I seen your bike and now im in the market hopefully soon,only heard goodthings...

Old 07-02-2003, 08:22 AM
Pro Rider

2001Raptor2001 - Do you mean the carbs are now 2" further away from the head? If so, what are you running for an airbox? Where did you get the spacers? Do you have any pics? Thanks!

Old 07-02-2003, 10:53 AM
Trailblazer

Right now your carbs connect to carb boots that connect to the head. Properly set up FCR's have a billet manifold that attaches to the head and the boots attach to the manifold. The manifold moves the carbs back a ways and to the left so the accel pump will clear the midpipe. The midpipe on my graydon is so massive that i had to shim it and had to do some caveman engineering to get the carbs to clear it. I've never looked at the midpipe on a Yosh but I understand they are a bit smaller than a graydon so....

Im at work now, but if interested I'll snap a pic tomorrow and send it to you.

Craycraft head, FCR's from sparks, the possibility of a trinity manifold, Yosh pipe interesting combo! LOL!

Old 07-02-2003, 11:12 AM
Pro Rider

I understand the head/manifold/carb boot arrangement but am still confused on the airbox side of the equation. I would greatly appreciate the pics and sent you my email address in a PM. I heard that Sparks has their own intake manifold but it's not for sale so if I can't get something from Trinity, I'll get out the torch and make some room:-) I'll bet the mid pipe won't mind being out of round a bit as long as it's not crushed.

Old 07-02-2003, 06:49 PM
Trailblazer

Ill send you some pics tomorrow. Trinity has as adapter that allows you to attach your stock airbox runners, dont know if sparks supplies that or not. I have clamp on filters on mine as the stock airbox is a PITA. I am seriously considering going to an adapter that uses the stock runners and clamp on filters, just to get my filters away from the exhuast and closer to some cool air.

Quick Reply: Gave up and ordered FCRs, have a few ??s