Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

YFZ 450 Dyno Sheet

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2003, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YFZ 450 Dyno Sheet

We dynoed a piped vforce at the ATPT nationals last weekend and it made 38 rwhp I believe. Every dyno produces different numbers, anyone who has ever seen the same quad dynoed on 2 different ones should know that. One might show you making 65 horsepower, while the next may show you at 55. Dyno numbers mean absolutely nothing, if I have 35 horsepower and you have 80 and I beat you, I still won.

Old 07-04-2003, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

-Ridley, why don't you tell us how you really feel??

-Hippies smoke the kind, not that stuff that rots your mind.

-Warning:

1) Dynos are not all the same. We have said this a million times.

2) The best bikes that the dirt bike mags are testing in the 450cc range are STRUGGLING to hit 52hp.
I think Curtis Sparks builds the best engines in the ATV business but if he was building engines that much better than the bike engine builders, EVERYONE would be running his engines on bikes too.

I want to put a good word in for Laz, I've seen his bikes run and they do just that. He is down to earth too. Most of the other engine builders act like movie stars.

Old 07-04-2003, 10:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

250r4life how did you get the bike to sparks already hows the pipe what type of jet kit did he use whats the cost of the pipe and whats the turn around time

Old 07-04-2003, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

I raced a stock red and white YFZ 450 today at the dragstrip at Silver Lake dunes, and he beat me more times than not. My quad is making 44-46 hp on a "stingy" dyno (per the shop owner). And mine is sitting about 3-4 inches lower than stock so I can get a good takeoff without the wheelies.

Also, if you look at the 2 different dyno graphs and compare the numbers at the specific RPMs, then they are believable. The YFZ graph looks more peaky because it is over a much wider RPM spread. The bike makes more power at every RPM, but it is pretty consistently the same amount higher, until after 8500 RPM. Then the quad drops off quicker. I think the difference in power and the quicker drop off on the quad is due to two important things - the "detuning" of the engine (different exhaust cam, less stroke, etc) and the higher weight of the two big wheels and the axle.

So I think that the posted graph is pretty accurate, whether it is made up or for real.

RR1

Old 07-05-2003, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

hey don't get me wrong the yfz is awesome and a hard hitting machine but for the money in my opinion the pred or raptor is better deal.

Old 07-05-2003, 12:59 AM
Range Rover

OK, Ive gotta question.... you all know how a diesel makes insane amounts of torque, like a semi truck, but the are slow as hell!! Why, cause the dont turn any RPMs, and dont make a whole heck of a lot of HP because of it... it may take a while for them to get up that hill, but the will get that trailor there.....

Now, everyone says that the raptor "only makes 36HP, that sucks, they're slow!" But could that be because that large motor is making such a large amount of low end torque, just not peak HP? One because it doesnt turn as many RPMs, and two because the torque curve drops off so much at high RPMs... after all, HP is derived from a formula after measuring torque at a given RPM.

You could kinda compare it to a work truck, and a drag car... both have the same motor, but both a designed to do different jobs. The work truck is set up to make the largest amount of torque at low RPMs for pulling and hauling, with small exhaust ports, small cam etc.... Now, try and get that drag car to pull the same trailor and you are going to have a very hard time. It makes a ton of HP, but way up high, and has a really high stall converter to get away from those low RPMs where it would bog.

All in all..... Raptor=Work Truck YFZ=Drag Car

I would like to see the 2 machines put on the same dyno, and then overlay the results one over the other and see where each makes its most torque.

Old 07-05-2003, 02:04 AM
Pro Rider

Clover, it depends on what you do the bike, for mx it would take mega$$$$$$$$$$$ to get a raptor to handle like a YZF in addition to that you will never get it to be as light. Another thing is that for mx you want a quick reving engine (for pitch correction) and the big bores have a hard time with that. Let's not even talk about the v700, nice ride but not a light weight mx racer.

Overall the Raptor has more potential but that 450 is sweet.

Old 07-05-2003, 02:37 AM
Pro Rider

Dakota, bigger engines usually make more torque than smaller ones UNLESS you give them some monster compression (a diesel or race engine) or give them forced induction. I cant wait to see a YFZ450 Turbo or NO2 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Maybe it will be kinda like the supra of the quad world lol. Then they just need to throw that motor into a Wolverine so we can have a Skyline [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] But If I see any quads with a big honkin wing and fog lights..... somones gonna get slapped.

Old 07-05-2003, 09:30 AM
Range Rover

So you're telling me, that if I rolled up with a YFZ with one of those silly F1 racing wings stuck on the back like stupid import owners put on there rice burners you would slap me??

Old 07-07-2003, 02:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey RaptorRacer1, that was me on the YFZ 450 Friday and Saturday at Silver Lake. Got to say you have a sweet looking quad! I have to say after this weekend I was pretty impressed with the YFZ 450. A lot of the people I let ride it said the same thing. I can't wait to get a pipe on it.