Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

RR1's Break Downs at Silver Lake this week

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2003, 04:20 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Lazy Boy Rider!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RR1's Break Downs at Silver Lake this week

I noticed a broken exhaust bolt while removing the skid plate to put nerfs back on. It was brake pedal side, outside one, broken off about 1/32" inside the head. Soaking in liquid wrench right now, what are the chances of center punching, drilling and easy out, or bolt extractor. I've read not too much luck with this process in the past. Maybe just drill and tap to 8mm?
What do you think?

Old 07-04-2003, 05:23 PM
Trailblazer

I had one break on me and I was just plain lucky. I was able to drill the stud out, and chased the threads on the helicoil and I was back in business.

Too bad we couldnt meet up last weekend Greg. Had a lot of banshee owners scratching they're heads.

Old 07-04-2003, 09:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Happa, the first thing I would try would be a left handed drill bit. I ahve heard great stories about using them. Then proced with what you said if that didn't work.

banshee owners scratching they're heads.
Isn't that one of the best feelings!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-05-2003, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider

GregV,
Thanks for the help and the great photos, buddy! I had a great time this week. After a few early vacation troubles, I got back on track and did a lot of riding the past few days. Sorry I didn't see you on Wednesday. Did you guys go straight home? The temporary fix on the exhaust is still holding strong, although the nylon from the locknut is melted. Maybe I will see if it will last till the end of the summer! Maybe not.

I had to take off my rear caliper and brake line today. The rear brake was dragging (like Airraptor's on the dyno at FSW2) and everything I tried I could not get it fixed. So I just took it off. I really could tell a difference. I will worry about rebuilding it later. Also, running your tank at 1/2 to 1/4 full makes you faster too, because of less weight. There were Raptors and Banshees I couldn't beat at the beginning of the day, but later on when I had run out most of my gas I could finally beat them. But I learned the hard way that when you do this you need to pay close attention to how much you have left. My quad started sputtering and I checked the tank and I could see the bottom (first time I've ever seen it). I made it all the way out the exit by driving in 2nd and rocking my quad back and forth to get the last few drops into the carb. Then it died and I had to push it all the way back to my trailer.

There was another Raptor that was dominating today that was running the stock exhaust! I pulled him aside, and once again we have another liar. He said that he only had a jet kit, open airbox, and K+N filter. And the stock exhaust. I could tell that it was stock. It did not sound like he pulled the baffles out. He said he "used to have" a Rapor with with a built up engine, but that this one was all stock internals. I could take him off the line, but he had Massive top end. I don't see how this is possible with the stock exhaust.

That is the second Raptor this week that wasted me that said he had a "stock" engine. The other guy had a CT pipe, open airbox, and K+N filter. He left the line like a semi-modified drag Banshee, wheelying through 3rd gear.

Does anyone have any ideas on what, if anything these guys may have had up there sleeves? I can't believe that my Raptor with all the possible bolt ons, and GregV's 686 could be beat by a jetted or piped and jetted Raptor. Usually GregV had the fastest 4-stroke and I am a close 2nd.

I will post my whole story after I get back from AZ this weekend.

RR1

Old 07-05-2003, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider

RR1 I felt so beat up from riding for three days that we took the kids to dune town and did the go carts and putt putt golfing. I feel great now but I am learning real quick that drag racing takes more muscle than actual riding. We left Silver Lake around 3 p.m. Made it home around 8:30 pm. Made a few stops along the way. PM your address and we will get the video out to you. Have fun in AZ!!

We had a great time riding with you as well. Hopefully we can do it again this summer. We are going to Little Sahara in August. If you think you can fit it into your schedule let us know.

Old 07-05-2003, 03:34 AM
Pro Rider

Your Welcome RR1,

I'm glad that it held together!! Also, thanks for the chille.............good stuff!

Old 07-05-2003, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider

Yes, RR1 the chilli was great. I definitely need the recipe when you get back home![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-05-2003, 01:23 PM
Pro Rider

I have seen more broken header studs from people with yoshi pipes than anything else combined. My theory is the mounting collar that interfaces with the head and bracket expands excessively quicker than the studs and surrouding area and weakens them. Just my 2 cents

My friend broke his twice one ride after fixing it the first time, after pulling the head off the second time he went out and got grizzly studs from a year 2000 I believe. They are 8mm but the same lenght inside and out. And watch out when drilling them, take one of the good ones out of another hole if you have to a tape your drill bit the right length so you dont go to far - the water jacket is very close. Try and get a straight as you can, I wouldnt try it without a drill press but it can be done. You may also have to enlarge the holes in the pipes bracket, we had to.

Old 07-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Lazy Boy Rider!

Ward660R
I'm not familiar with a left handed drill bit, could you please enlighten me?

Warrior007
Thanks for the headsup on the water jacket on back side, that would not be a pretty sight drilling through it.

Let ya'll know how it turns out, thanks for all the help.

Old 07-08-2003, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider

I was at silver racing RR1, he got me by a little almost every time.
My quad was running good last weekend.
I did not get much of a chance to talk to you though.

Did you have your yoshi pipe with stock carbs? If so did you have it runing good?
My friend has an 02 raptor with a yoshi pipe, Dynojet kit, Pro design K&N kit, no airbox lid.
He cant get it to run good. If you had the pipe with stock carbs, I was wondering if you could tell me what jets you had, needles, air screw settings, air box lid?

Quick Reply: RR1's Break Downs at Silver Lake this week