Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

RR1's Break Downs at Silver Lake this week

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2003, 01:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RR1's Break Downs at Silver Lake this week

Met up with RaptorRacer1 this week at Silver Lake. The poor guy had the axle bearings go out on him and he had to drive 100 or so miles to two Yamaha dealers to find the bearings that he needed, then he had to find a machine shop to press the old ones out and install the new ones.

He also had rented a cabin to be shared by a few of his friends...........all of which ended up having to work so he was left flying solo. Bummer!

Then after a couple hours of riding he noticed that he had a header bolt that had broken off!! This was on Tuesday and he had the cabin for the rest of the week. So we went out and took a look at it. I noticed an oil line restraining bolt interestingly close to the broken header bolt and suggested finding something to attach between the two holes. Jarrod found a chain link that worked PERFECT!! We drilled out the holes in the links to accommodate the the bolts that we needed to use and installed it.

It worked out great...........salvaged the rest of the week for him to ride and not spend it running around the country side looked for someone to tap out his head.

This almost sounds like a Ward660 story. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] .........haha.........no offence Ward, but you realy do have streaks of bad luck.

GregV

On a long term basis...........has anyone had one break?? I have heard of people putting in larger studs. Does anyone have any advice for RR1 on a perminant fix?

Broken Header Bolt

Broken Header Bolt Temporary Fix

Old 07-04-2003, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

that idea is awsome good job on figuring that out

Old 07-04-2003, 01:10 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks dirtrider078,

There was absolutly no way that was coming off. If you look closely, you will see a nut holding the oil line against the cylinder that will also keep it from backing out.

Unfortuntly, this fix will only work if you break the exact same stud off. So, you have a 25% chance of being able to use this. ha ha

GregV

Old 07-04-2003, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider

i probly wouldent have thought of that cause i am not the type of person that can think of kinda easy fixes. i wish i was though
also what size of rim do i need to get for a 20x10x9

Old 07-04-2003, 01:40 AM
Pro Rider

You will need a 9" rim on whatever width that you want.

When you call and order your rims they will tell you what is available for your lug pattern. Go narrower if you want a taller side wall or wider if you want a lower profile.

Old 07-04-2003, 02:15 AM
Pro Rider

Hey man awesome save, glad he could ride. I've had that same stud break on me. A fix, I used a thicker aircraft bolt and tapped it, and used a sorta lock nut like on the axle type thing to hold it, so far so good its been about 5 months and its still going strong.

Old 07-04-2003, 02:36 AM
Pro Rider

RR1 has his Raptor running fast for a stock engine. He just installed the Eldebrock carb set-up. It was really different. It had good power, the thumb throttle wa a bit on the harsh side, but it ran well.

Old 07-04-2003, 02:49 AM
Pro Rider

If he wants a stock fast engine, get one of sixsixt's raptor adaptors'

Old 07-04-2003, 02:09 PM
Pro Rider

WHoa, I didnt know RR1 had a stock engine. I thought he had 686. Hm, I feel lame. I was all excited about beatin him last time I was at SL. lol, o well.

-Nick

Old 07-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

LOL GregV you are exactley right!!!

On the stud, I am not real sure, but I think that people are using studs from the Grizzley. Its larger and less prone to breaking. Drill out the old, tap the hole, and screw in the new studs. I think thats how I have heard it being done.

Its great ya'll patched it up! That would have been a real bummer if not! GOOD WORK!!!!

Quick Reply: RR1's Break Downs at Silver Lake this week