Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

twist throttle problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 07:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default twist throttle problems

Help please,
A friend of mine bought a new blaster. He put a twist throttle and a k&n filter on it today. now when he gets on the gas the motor starts cutting out on him. He put the old air filter back in and it still does it. Any ideas on where he went wrong?
Thanks.
Southy

Old 07-11-2003, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider

the problem is he put a twist throttle on a quad, why would someone waste there money like that????

Old 07-11-2003, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider

the problem is he put a twist throttle on a quad, why would someone waste there money like that????
I know! lol

Old 07-11-2003, 07:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just a guess but make sure he put the slide and needle back in correctly. I know for a fact that if you put the slide in backwards the motor will idle but if you try to give it any gas it will flood. Also, I don't know if Blasters are like Banshee's, but, make sure the E-brake isn't on. Hope this helps.

Old 07-11-2003, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider

I only had/have one bike with a thumb throttle, the 300ex. Everything else i everowned had twist. Just love the feeling of grabbimg a handfull of GO. Check the needle, sometimes the e-clip holing it in the slide will pop off, it causes exactly what you described

Old 07-11-2003, 08:35 PM
Trailblazer

Hey
I'd like to thank everyone for the quick replies. He found out that he did two things wrong. First was the whole twist throttle thing. The second was the clip moved when he put it back together.

Old 07-11-2003, 11:22 PM
Trailblazer

i don't know how you guys can say a twist is a waste of money for $28 it is definatley worth it i love having mine

Old 07-12-2003, 01:07 AM
jt
Range Rover

i had one on a blaster and a banshee and loved it

Old 07-12-2003, 01:36 AM
Pro Rider

blah blah twist throttles are for people that dont wunna break a thumb nail [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 07-12-2003, 04:58 PM
Pro Rider

If your friend really wants to put a twist throttle on his bike, go ahead. We ran into the same problem while installing a twist on my friends shee. There is an overrev prevention feature built into the stock thumb throttle. While the throttle is at rest, a button is pressed inside the throttle, telling the bike that the throttle is at rest. The purpose for this is that if a throttle cable were to stick, the prevention feature would engage a rev limiter and keep the bike from overrevving and melting the top end out of the 2-stroke. If you want to install a twist, the wires coming from the back of the carb to the throttle must be bridged. Otherwise, the bike will engage the rev limiter. This is the problem we ran into on the banshee and it could very well be the same with a blaster. Depending on the year model of the bike, the circuit to this protection device may have to be open or closed (bridged). Experimentation will tell you which is right for you.

Now... on another note:

You guys ought to be ashamed for ******* on someone because they like a twist throttle or a thumb throttle. I run a Motion Pro Vortec twist throttle (which happens to be incredibly more responsive than a thumb throttle) and love it. Our entire riding group prefers twist throttles even on the utility bikes. The only thumb throttle riding with us is my best friend who rides one on his banshee. He just feels more comfortable with the thumb throttle feel. This is a matter of pure preference. Let people be ok with what they want.

Neither is better than the other unless it is better for you.

~HoundDog

Quick Reply: twist throttle problems