Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

wolverine or big bear

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 12:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wolverine or big bear

I'm looking to buy new atv & was wondering about the riding differences between a wolverine & big bear. I'll be riding Ohio & PA style trails with a lot of mud, hills, & wide open trails. I don't plan on towing much, but the 4x4 is a must. I also want something that will toast my friends new rancher. I also thought about the polaris scrambler 500, but there's not much ground clearance & I would have to buy a lot of extra crap to compete with yamaha. are there any other recommendations? any help would be much appreciated.

Old 07-12-2003, 01:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

I recenty purchased a 2004 Wolverine. So far its one awesome bike. My friend has a rancher and start off its about the same but after that its all over with. Top speed is around high 50s.

Old 07-12-2003, 05:37 PM
Range Rover

both quads are good in my opinion, but if you want something with a decent top speed get the wolverine. i've never tried, but i'd say our Big Bear top speed is in the low 40's. hope this helps.

Old 07-13-2003, 01:51 AM
Pro Rider

I would also suggest the wolverine. The Big Bear is more or less a work-horse and if you are more for play a wolvy would suit you fine.

Old 07-13-2003, 03:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

ied say the worlverine the bigbear is slow because its ment to do work.

Old 07-13-2003, 04:40 AM
Pro Rider

I owned a BB 400, and I must say, it is a great quad! Although it does not seem faster than a rancher, it actually is! The big bear is larger than the wolverine, and has MUCH more torque. The ride has a much firmer ride, and more ground clearance. The wolverine on the other hand is geared for more top end, and has a plusher suspension. SOmetimes on the wolvy you will run out of power in 1st gear if you dont keep rpm's up! Both quads are fairly light also, and bullet proof! The BB tops out at about 50. The rancher will be tough to beat in the mud and hills though, but both own it for performance! The Suzuki Eiger is also another good atv. But if you want the whole package, try to find a prairie 650, which will blow basically any quad away!

Old 07-13-2003, 04:51 AM
Pro Rider

Go with the Wolverine. Later you could do the stroker from Mickey Dunlap and it will have more power than any stock 4x4. I've trail rode one with this setup and it will go anywhere you want it with all the power you need. A stock Wolverine is a good bike period also in my opinion. Slim

Old 07-13-2003, 06:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Both of them will outrun a rancher. Wolverine won't climb slow technical stuff as good as the Big Bear though, and its 1st gear is kind of high, but its a pretty capable bike. Big Bear will go in the low 50's top end. Its dang sure not in the low 40's.

The wolverine would be the more fun to ride of the two. The only thing I ever had against it is that it looks like its flimsy. I guess because its made to be lightweight or something. It has that sport quad look.

Old 07-13-2003, 06:03 PM
Range Rover

i cant imagine winding out our Big Bear to go 50+ mph, lol. it sounds pretty wound up about the 40 mark, i was scared to push it any farther. oh well, you learn something new everyday [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-14-2003, 08:50 AM
Pro Rider

Judging from your needs I'd say the Wolv. Lets face it the BB has been the work horse of the Yamaha family and unless they make major changes it will alway be. The wolverine is a very capable atv in the mud as well. A buddy of mine had one and had no problem keeping up to my Kodiak. One thing however the stock tires really are crap. While in negotiations with the dealer, work him for a good price on tires.

Hope this helps
Marc

Quick Reply: wolverine or big bear