Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Frustrated grizzly 660 owner needs feedback

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 06:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frustrated grizzly 660 owner needs feedback

I've about had it with my 02 grizzly 660. I love water and mudd. It hates water and mudd. We're not compatible and I think our relationship is about to end. I put up with the little things like the floorboards breaking away from the supports and the nasty grinding driveline chatter from the supposed faulty rear brake, but I just can't deal with this thing sputtering, hesitating and sometimes stalling in water/mudd while in 4wd with and w/o the diff. lock on. It's not ingesting water and it runs fine as long as it's high and dry. And I'm not even in the slop all that deep (tops of tires at the most). Do any other grizzly owners have these problems? My dealer (only one in area) is incompetent. I'm on the verge of selling it and buying a Polaris 600 or Rincon.

Old 07-14-2003, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider

Well, its not a 660, but i have about had it with my 600...It rattles, my bumper was bent very easily...and it handles funny, but i love the darn thing too much to selll

Old 07-14-2003, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry guys, either yall got lemons or I got a gem. We've had our grizz in the deepest muck and mud imaginable. My best friend put it into a corner of the lake in mud to the fenders. No problems whatsoever. We are about to buy another one.

~HoundDog

Old 07-14-2003, 07:19 PM
Pro Rider

waderman, have you done the side panel mod yet? The reason it is sputtering in deep water is because the steam from your head pipe is being sucked into your intake. If you vent your side panels it wont sputter because it lets the steam out. Mine used to do the same until I did that. If you go over to the High Lifter forum you can see some pics of what people have done with their side panels.

Old 07-14-2003, 07:28 PM
Trailblazer

Waderman-
I (unfortunately) no longer have my '02 Grizzly, but I may have a solution for you. I encountered the same troubles as you when I first took mine swimming. I found a small vacuum hose on the left side of the motor and simply placed it between the frame and the gas tank. This may not be proper, but I never had any trouble after that. I have had mine so deep that I had to stand on the seat to avoid being soaked and it never died. I hope this helps.

Old 12-19-2003, 03:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey you might want to set the idle a little higher on your grizzly to keep it from stalling, maybe you should find another dealer in your area and have them take a look at it, its probably a dumb little problem. Trust me the grizzly is a better atv then the polaris, at least thats what i thik

Old 12-20-2003, 07:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I love mine, and haven't had problems with it. But, if you are having trouble with it and want something else, I would go with the Rincon. Sure its transmission makes it lesser than others in the racing dept, but for mud, I think it would be pretty good. Everything is sealed up. Now on the short end, you lose the locker and the discs up front, but for like $385, Highlifter sells that disc kit. Its pricey, but it is freakin awesome on my friends Rubicon.

Old 12-20-2003, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

no problems with my 02 either, and it has seen some mud and water [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I have 04 side panels now, but never had the issues before hand, I just put them on in case [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Do the side panels and put dielectric grease on all your electrical connections on the front end

Old 12-20-2003, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider

i have an 02 grizzly, and it did the exact same things yours is doing. it now can submarine with the best of them.
it was not one thing that i did to solve the problem, but numerous ones that together has solved all problems with my griz. mine also overheated, vaporlockes, and sagged floorbnoards, leaking front seal, and so on. the list never ends, lol. its perfect now, NO HELP FROM YAMAHA.
no. 1. dialetic grease on the spark plug boot, ( making sure the boot is installed correctly) and on the front servo moter.
no.2 vent the side panels!!! vary important!!! release the steam that causes spuddering from even the smallest puddles.
no. 3. wrap the exhaust. this decreases steam, and heat witch can cause vaporlocking at the most inoppertune time.
no. 4. richen her up a bit. too many grizzly's out there running lean, witch can cause vapor lock, along with engine damage.
no 5. adjust the valves often!!! i do mine every 30 or so hours, and it makes a world of differance. the 3 intake are always tight.
no 6. rerout the overflow from the carb, and the gas cap. the gas cap hose is a much larger problem than most think it is. i got mine way high.
no. 7. do a bypass on the limiters. alot of people hit the limiters and dont realize it.
no. 8. adjust the floats in the bowl 2 mm. it has solved sputtering for many, expecally on inclines.

the rear brakes now have great aftermarket pads for them, and last alot longer. the floorboard supports that are offered are alot stronger too.
i did all this to my griz and its cost was about 100 or so, not including all the parts i just had to have, lol.
i now go deep with no problems, never overheat, can off camber with the best of them.
the no 1 thing i would do emmeditally is the side panel mod, followed closly by the valve adjustment and then the dialetic grease.
sorry so long, hope i could help out.

Old 12-20-2003, 05:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

For the BEST buy 700 Prairie!

Quick Reply: Frustrated grizzly 660 owner needs feedback